Scammer using valid looking cashier's check

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
kg0j

Scammer using valid looking cashier's check

Post by kg0j »

I was taken by a scammer calling himself David and purporting to be a Aero engineer working for a company that builds planes. He agreed to my price and sent me a cashier's check for the amount plus extra for a shipping/moving company to come pick up the amplifier. I thought ok, they have a safe way to transport the amp. We deposited the check and it was accepted by the bank and looked good and cleared. However a few days later it was charged back to us as a "altered/fictitious" check. It looked real and was drawn on Bank of America. His email address and domain looked valid as well. So you can't even trust a cashier's check now. I don't know if it matters but the original email address was davidmeyer@engineer.com. This happened on QTH, he had no callsign. Part of the reason I proceeded with the deal was the valid looking cashier's check. My fault for not waiting long enough for it to clear even though the bank said it was good.