W8EK, Ken Simpson. Beware of Bait-and-Switch

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4JMW

W8EK, Ken Simpson. Beware of Bait-and-Switch

Post by W4JMW »

I take no joy in writing this about a fellow ham. I like to think most folks (especially Hams!) are honest and generally do the right thing.

A couple of weeks ago I contacted Ken about tubes he offers for sale as: “Most tubes are NOS”. (I understand “most” does not mean “all”, of course.)

After exchanging several emails, I asked for photos, which he quickly sent, but the tubes were in their boxes. I could not see the actual tubes. I asked if they were all NOS and his reply was “Yes, they are NOS.”

In his photo, five boxes were Sylvania, and six were unmarked white boxes. Told him I would take all eleven tubes pictured.

What I received was a collection of what appeared to be old, “pulls” from a TV & Radio repair shop. All clearly well-used. Of the five in Sylvania boxes, only ONE was a Sylvania tube!
The white boxed tubes were also clearly well-worn, with no military designations on any of them.

I immediately contacted Ken and included photos of the tubes he sent me, next to their boxes, telling him that I assumed he had made a careless mistake, or had shipped me someone else’s order, and I was sure he would make this right.

His reply was “To the best of my knowledge, these were NOS. I stand behind what I sell, but tubes are not returnable”

I shipped the tubes back to him the next business day, at my expense.
Delivery was confirmed, including a photo, by UPS.

I am hoping he will refund the $159 I’ve paid him, but since he insisted on a Postal Money Order, I have no recourse other than hoping his conscience will kick in.

So…I am out $175, and no tubes. Ken is not responding to my phone calls or emails for a week now.

(Yes, I KNOW I was dealing with the REAL Ken Simpson, not a scammer. I spoke briefly with his wife, and I sent the money to his listed, REAL address)

I will update if anything changes.

-Jim, W4JMW