Has anyone had any dealing with Paul Gidos, N3ZIC?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w7ry

Has anyone had any dealing with Paul Gidos, N3ZIC?

Post by w7ry »

Has anyone had any dealings with Paul Gidos, N3ZIC?

His email address is: Paul / Cheryl Gidos <wln3zic>

He bought an Icom IC-751A from me, received it, and now wants to retrun it. Here is his reason for retruning the rig:

"jim,
got the radio this afternoon. look's pretty nice. i didn't try to hook it up. where is the fuse protection on the power cord in case of a short or ground?? radio will be sent back to you. i don't do business that way with people and don't except it done to me. the amount of packing you had for the radio you my as well forgot the 2nd box. please send payment and your address so radio can be shipped back
paul"

I accepted PayPal for payment and he has opened a dispute with PayPal. Now their holding my funds.

His reason for his dispute with PayPal:

"radio in complete"

I have tried to get his phone number and he refuses to give it to me. I have given him my number many times and he refuses to call me. His emails to me are very short and un-responsive.

Does anyone know Paul? Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Anyboy have a suggestion? Does the QTH.com gang have a mediator for such issues?

Please feel free to email me directly at w7ry at arrl dot net or call me at 360-686-1060.

Thanks
Jim W7RY
w7ry

N3ZIC

Post by w7ry »

Paul lives in WEST LEECHBURG, PA

Thanks
Jim W7RY
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Does he realize that in line fuses are often removed from power cords (and should be) when there is a proper fuse at the power source ? Hard to define that as "incomplete". His comments regarding shipping and second boxes are cryptic at best. Sounds like whatever the packing method the radio arrived in great shape. Point that out to Paypal and there is a good chance the buyer is keeping the radio.
He actually admits as much his primary case being the missing fuse in the power cord. The power cord is a modifiable peripheral device. Maybe the offer of an inline fuse assembly would satisfy even that. The offer to supply an inline fuse would make the radio "complete" by his own definition and pull the main element of his claim from the table. Send me your address and I will send you a fuse assembly that you can forward to him. Actually however unless you promised the power cord to be factory fresh and unmodified that is a very minor detail. Paypal should allow you to provide a fuse to satisfy his complaint.

Again not sure if shipping is also an issue but the fact that it arrived in fine shape says shipping was adequate. However if you charged extra for special packing that was not provided he may be entitled to a partial refund on the shipping charges.No big deal.
It really sounds like a bit of buyer remorse at his expenditure or perhaps he found another one at a lower price...it happens all the time.
So long as the item arrived in good shape and you delivered as promised he has little recourse.
k1hz

Post by k1hz »

I think that you are dealing with a buyer that has changed his mind. From all that I can see, you have completed the transaction from your side in fine shape. I would not be the least bit disappointed with your portion of the deal. If you indicated that the power cord was as new, he has a minor issue that can be resolved with a new 12 volt power cord. You could offer a partial refund at the value of a new cord, if you feel that Paul has a legitimate complaint.

I think you will find this information to be accurate for contacting Paul:
Gidos Jr, Paul F

1545 Main St

Leechburg, PA 15656-9255

(724) 845-7708

I hope this helps.
73's
Ron...K1HZ...
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I believe he will have to return the Radio before he can regain his money. Why not offer him a $20.00 refund for a new power cord and be done with it but Pay Pal will listen to your side also.
Larry Huff K0pd
w7ry

Paul, N3ZIC Case Closed....

Post by w7ry »

All...

Well I escalated this back to PayPal. And I just had a long telephone conversation with them about the claim. I put in a large amount of supporting documentation in my response.

Please take a close look at the verbiage shown below if you have problems with this in the future.

Hello James Colville,

You have chosen to escalate this dispute to a PayPal claim. By ending
communication with the buyer, you are asking PayPal to investigate the case
and decide the outcome. As part of our investigation, PayPal reviewed any
communication you may have had with the buyer in the Resolution Center.

We have received a complaint from a buyer who stated that merchandise you
sent them did not match your original description. The buyer is disputing
the quality of goods associated with the transaction detailed below.

As you may already be aware, PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies only
to the shipment of goods and not to complaints about the attributes or
quality of goods received through an off eBay transaction. Therefore, we
will not conduct an investigation into this matter at this time.

We do, however, reserve the right to begin an investigation within 180 days
if we determine it is necessary.

Thanks for all your help and I think were done here. Paul also received the same message from PayPal.

I did send him another power cord with fuses today by Priority Mail with delivery confirmation.

With all the buying and selling I've done here on QTH.com, this is a first encounter of this type for me.

73 and thanks again!
Jim W7RY
w7ry

Post by w7ry »

KG8LB wrote:.

Again not sure if shipping is also an issue but the fact that it arrived in fine shape says shipping was adequate. However if you charged extra for special packing that was not provided he may be entitled to a partial refund on the shipping charges.No big deal.
I did not charge him for special shipping. The 751 was in the original box with the original packing foam. The original box was put into another box with peanuts on the bottom to protect from dropping. Again, he did not disclose that there was shipping damage.

Jim W7RY
w4rhm

Post by w4rhm »

For what its worth he just bought a radio from me now complaing about how it was packaged. It was double boxed with 2-3 inches of foam between. said it was destroyed. I asked if the post office marked it as damaged. no reply asked for his # no reply asked for pics of the foam which would show damage.Im being told he might have dropped it after receiving it. Should have looked him up first . He seems to have more HF rigs than guys with privileges
w7ry

Post by w7ry »

w4rhm wrote:For what its worth he just bought a radio from me now complaing about how it was packaged. It was double boxed with 2-3 inches of foam between. said it was destroyed. I asked if the post office marked it as damaged. no reply asked for his # no reply asked for pics of the foam which would show damage.Im being told he might have dropped it after receiving it. Should have looked him up first . He seems to have more HF rigs than guys with privileges
Please keep us informed at to how this turns out.

Jim W7RY
KD0JPE

Post by KD0JPE »

Paul Gidos, N3ZIC, is a silent key:

http://216.93.242.84/show/Paul-F.-Gidos-93856017
John
KD0JPE
KD0JPE

Post by KD0JPE »

It looks like he died 5 days after w4rhm posted his message.
John
KD0JPE