I need help with a recently scam

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
wp3bc

I need help with a recently scam

Post by wp3bc »

4 weeks ago i buy a radio from guy here in qth .after a month finaly he reply my email saying that the radio was damage by a lightning,and that he will refund the money.well he send me a money order for $20 dollars and i pay him $400 for the radio.now he does not answer the phone or reply my emails.Mw question is what can be done to report this criminal.do i have to go to the police department in my location,or i need to call the police department in his lacation.Will the police will do anything agains him to get my money back?.or what other way i have to go to get my money and report this criminal.please reply with your answer to this question thanks and have a Bless day.
Edgar A
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Edgar who is this theif? As for filing a complaint i would start with the law in his city. Besure to have all the paper work and E mails on hand. Good luck in nailing this theif.
Larry Huff K0pd
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

Yes please post this crooks call sign. He must be stopped here and now.
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
wp3bc

Post by wp3bc »

The name of this person is Ron Styles kg4qlr. i file a complain on the ic-3 FBI web page anything else that can be done?
Edgar A
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

wp3bc wrote:The name of this person is Ron Styles kg4qlr. i file a complain on the ic-3 FBI web page anything else that can be done?

A quick google search has shown at least three other hams who have been ripped off by KG4QLR. I stopped on page two of the search.
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
NR7J

Scammer

Post by NR7J »

Looks like he sold the same radio to other hams. (see link below)

http://forums.qrz.com/search.php?searchid=294587

God Help us, ham radio is not what it used to be.
wp3bc

Post by wp3bc »

I do some research and this guy have a extensive criminal record,is been convicted for 0646-TELEPHONE/UNLAWFUL USE OF TELEPHONE
0079-BURGLARY-1ST DEGREE
0480-LARCENY/PETIT OR SIMPLE LARCENY

in other words i loose my money,but im pretty sure he will go to jail i will guaranty that!!!
Edgar A
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

Check out his profile photo on QRZ.com and if the radio in question is shown in the photo (which was updated June 1st) then definitely save the image to your computer, for possible future reference.

http://www.qrz.com/db/kg4qlr
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

W4LTD wrote:Check out his profile photo on QRZ.com and if the radio in question is shown in the photo (which was updated June 1st) then definitely save the image to your computer, for possible future reference.

http://www.qrz.com/db/kg4qlr

He does not look like a crook. Then again Casey Anthony (according to the jury) does not look like a murderer. Go figure. :x
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

The FCC has taken action recently to revoke licenses of some felons. Let them know.
w8jn

Jail

Post by w8jn »

Edgar,
If he is a convicted felon, check his record. The possibility exists that he may be on probation or have a probation officer he reports to. Get that persons name and report your incident to him.
73 Paul w8jn
AC8IR

Post by AC8IR »

wp3bc wrote:I do some research and this guy have a extensive criminal record,is been convicted for 0646-TELEPHONE/UNLAWFUL USE OF TELEPHONE
0079-BURGLARY-1ST DEGREE
0480-LARCENY/PETIT OR SIMPLE LARCENY

in other words i loose my money,but im pretty sure he will go to jail i will guaranty that!!!
I always love people who come on this forum and cry about being ripped off. Evidently the buyer DID NOT do his research prior to engaging in a transaction with the seller.

Only after the fact does the buyer do any credible research...only to discover the seller is a crook.

Then when the buyer realizes they have been had they want to come to this forum and cry...sorry...too late. You should have done your homework BEFORE you engaged in a seller/buyer relationship with said individual.

No sympathy here...perhaps in the future you will take the time to better prepare.

Michael
AC8IR
w8jn

Recourse

Post by w8jn »

Michael,
No sympathy here either, however there is recourse. Thats what this forum is for also!
Paul w8jn
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

I have sympathy for you Michael. Anytime a fellow ham gets ripped off from another fellow ham it makes me sick. I am sorry you have to go through this. Do not loose faith in your fellow ham.
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
AD6KA

Post by AD6KA »

Actually, the charges against styles listed above were dismissed
BUT.....

Ronald Styles WAS convicted of EIGHT Forgery charges, was sentenced
to three years, suspended sentence to 30 days in jail and 3 years probation.
He is currently out on Bond for two NEW Forgery charges..

http://www.greenvillecounty.org/scjd/pu ... ourtType=G

Go there and type in his last and first name seperately to get the records.

He has scammed several hams who have gotten together and notified the local authorities and the Postal Service. The local police department
is investigating him. A detective has been assigned to the case.

He is going down for these scams, folks :D
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Try following the few simple steps recommended.

It may help you?

I wish you all the luck getting your money back.

73s
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

He is from Pickens County SC which is just west of Greenville SC. I would advise the federal authorities that he is pending charges in Pickens County SC and ask them to pursue your claim against him there.
n6ax

Post by n6ax »

So nice to hear see the milk of human kindness expressed by some here regarding this fellow ham's bad experience (/sarc off)

The detective assigned to the case is Jon Hamby of the Easley, SC police department