N5VAE - ATAS-120A

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KE2CAV

N5VAE - ATAS-120A

Post by KE2CAV »

I was not going to post anything about the long time it took to get the antenna from Nevada to New York. However, since the antenna is not operating properly. I would post something. Note: Aaron was very apologetic about the delay and corrected the situation as soon as he was able to.

It took over 3 weeks for the part to arrive. I started a credit card dispute after 2 1/2 weeks of little to no communcation (Note: He was out of the country for part of that time). Antenna listed $300. Having only done 2 paypal transactions ever, I got burnt with heeding the friend and family request.

Once I got the part, I tried for 2 days to get this antenna to tune in the 7 and 15 MHz frequency bands. No Luck. I could physically manually turn the antenna. The antenna would not automatically tune nor manually tune (PTT Plus Up or Down Buttons). I called Yaesu out of desparation.

However I just got off the phone with Roger at Yaesu's Technical Support. The ball bearings have dropped from the upper part of the antenna into the lower portion. I do not know if the antenna was dropped in shipment to cause this issue or what.
I have to decide to try to repair myself or return to Yaesu at $90/hours to repair plus parts.

Greg KE2CAV
N5VAE

Re: N5VAE - ATAS-120A

Post by N5VAE »

While I am also disappointed in this transaction, the antenna I sold Greg was in perfect working order. It still had Warranty on the antenna from Gigaparts. I included the original box and warranty card.

At no time did Greg reach out to me regarding this issue. I only heard about this today and it's upsetting to me.

I even double packed the antenna for shipping.

During our conversation however Greg did say he had a faulty FT-710 in his text message. It'd possible that had something to do with it.

As for bearings, how would one even check this? I will also contact Roger from Yaesu.

I tried posting pictures of the double boxed antenna but QTH is saying the size is too big.

If anyone has any questions I am open and transparent. While I feel bad this did not turn out well for both parties, this is definitely a lesson learned for both parties involved.
KE2CAV

Re: N5VAE - ATAS-120A

Post by KE2CAV »

When asked about what radio I had - I stated "FT-710". I never stated the radio was faulty. This was confirmed by Yaesu Technical Support. My setup was correct was also confirmed by Yaesu Technical Support. The ATAS-120A Antenna had a rattle noise out of the box. I heard the noise when I went to install on the UHF Connector Vertically. No Radio was not even power on yet. Faulty Antenna was confirmed by Yaesu Technical Support.

The Antenna was double boxed. I believe the antenna was dropped in shipment between Nevada and New York. There was no foam or other packing material between the Yaesu Antenna Box and the outer shipment box.

There are many of you tube videos that shows how to check for the upper bearings.

All parties should step away from this. As Aaron said, lessons learned on both sides.

Greg