Safest return method?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
W3DRK

Safest return method?

Post by W3DRK »

Greetings!

I recently made a purchase from a seller on this site for a transceiver that was described as being "In great shape". Unfortunately the unit came covered in deep scratches and has a gash in the front panel that even took a chunk out of one of the buttons. Also, a type N socket on the rear of the transceiver has a damaged center pin socket that looks like someone carelessly tried shoving a PL259 in.

Thankfully I paid using PayPal Goods and Services and compensated the seller by covering his additional cost incurred. So I think I should be covered in that regard.

I just notified him of my dissatisfaction, included pictures of the damage, and explained my desire to return the transceiver for a refund.

Assuming he agrees, do I simply ship the radio back and hope he refunds me?

Or is it better to begin a dispute via PayPal and let them guide me through the return process?

Thanks and 73,
W3DRK - Dieter
w7apm

Re: Safest return method?

Post by w7apm »

From your description of the deal I would save and document the transaction. If the ad is still up I would copy that or save the email with the replies and description. Also take pictures of the unit as delivered. Since by your description the seller was dishonest already I wouldn't worry about being worried about their "feelings".
Tell them you want a complete refund including any shipping charges or you will make a Paypal claim. If they want the junk returned they can pay for it. If they do the right thing and make you whole again without drama being forced maybe you could refrain from leaving them bad feedback.
I would not ship it back until you are satisfied.
W3DRK

Post by W3DRK »

Thanks. The listing was immediately removed once I notified him of my intent to purchase. It's a shame there's no listing "history", that could be useful in cases such as this. I do, however, have the text of the listing in the email history which does include the description. Next purchase I'll take screenshots before finalizing the deal.

As it stands, the email I sent notified him I wish to return the transceiver and asked him how he would like to proceed. I tend to go into things with an open mind and generally like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so I figured I'd see how he responds to my request.

Your suggestion is I should request to be refunded, including the cost of return shipping, before returning the transceiver? And if he disagrees, open a dispute with PayPal? That seams reasonable to me.

Thanks and 73 de W3DRK
W3DRK

Post by W3DRK »

I got my refund less the cost of shipping both ways and the PayPal G&S portion of the payment I covered.

So while I did get most of my money back, the dishonest seller didn't loose a dime and I'm out shipping and PayPal fees.

I didn't even get an apology.

Appropriate feedback of the encounter has been left.