Scammer using NJ0F

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
kc4hw

Scammer using NJ0F

Post by kc4hw »

An individual approached me through the QTH system via email regarding some items that was trying to sell. Got an email from the folks at QTH indicating and alerting me that it was possible scammers. I guess I am (was) pretty naive and suspected but had not had any experience with this. Based on the information that QTH provided.

I reached out to the real NJ0F and he denied any involvement or interest. He said that he had reported some previous scammers using his call. He used his email address as listed on QRZ and I was able to verify his mailing address with QRZ and FCC Database.

I chased down the IP address of the scammer and it was out of this country.

I still feel a little vulnerable but I have cancelled all contact with the scammer and refused to accept any further.

I will say that the information that I got from QTH was very helpful. I guess it is just the times that we live in.