Possible Spammers using callsign NJ0F and KJ9I

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
kc4hw

Possible Spammers using callsign NJ0F and KJ9I

Post by kc4hw »

Had two spammers using different callsigns reach out to me on some recent for sale listings. I guess the tip off was that the IP Address was out of the country. I used the link provided by QTH.COM to Check IP to determine where the solicitations originated from.

I don't think the NJ0F has any idea that they are using his call sign. I have reached out to him, but have not heard back from him as yet. I want to thank QTH.COM because they flagged me on one of the calls and I discovered the other one based on the information provided by QTH.COM.

I have deleted all my ads there, which is unfortunately because I want to thin my Ham Radio inventory as I am marching along in time... I always thought it was a good service, that spammers have taken away from QTH and the rest of us!!
kc4hw

Re: Possible Spammers using callsign NJ0F and KJ9I

Post by kc4hw »

I heard from NJ0F and someone is definitely scamming his call and trying to get me. Beware!
thoyer

Post by thoyer »

I had several items listed for sale. The first response from"NJ0F" was asking if the items were still available to which I annoyingly replied "yes" (I hate those inquiries).

The next response was:

"Good,
Okay I don’t mind to pay your asking price for you to reserve it in my favor.. And I'll be mailing a Company check for the payment, and once the bank posts the fund, which shouldn't take more than a day, I'll arrange for the shipping".

This started throwing some red flags - not worded well, arrange for shipping and no salutation.

IP address is shown in the UK

So I researched NJ0F and found a contact phone number for him on the web. I called Andre and he told me his call is being used to scam people. He has received several phone calls asking about it.

Be aware, or beware...........

Tom
W3TA
kc4hw

Post by kc4hw »

This was some of the same traffic that I got, Tom!