Scammer using KD2YCU and KA7MYE calling from 520-222-7187

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
SCDXER

Scammer using KD2YCU and KA7MYE calling from 520-222-7187

Post by SCDXER »

I had a very convincing interaction with someone posing as Danial Anderson, KD2YCU. He was able to answer questions and even send pictures I asked for but the communication was rude and suspicious. He seemed to be rushing the deal. I requested he text me to my phone and he used a free google voice number 5202227187. When I asked for a video chat to discuss payment he became even more rude and stopped responding.

I googled the phone number and another ad on qth.com showed up using the same phone number but from KA7MYE with an unrealistic price:

Cached URL: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us

Original Ad:
Ad Number: 1627023
Date Placed: 02/17/23
Name: Marsha L leach
Phone Number: 5202227187
Callsign: KA7MYE
Category: RADIOVHF
Heading: Icom 7610
Ad Message: Hello
For sale is my like new icom 7610 in good and perfect working condition from a non smoking home comes with the original box and accessories asking $2050 ..
Zelle or PayPal okay for payment
Additional info. He requested payment to Julia Anderson in Central Square, NY:
---------- Original Message ----------
Subject: Re: Inquiry into your For sale :Icom 7610 Classified at eHam.net
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 18:53:17 +0100

Sounds good.
Here is the name and address the MO should be made out to

Name :JULIA ANDERSON

Address:673 S MAIN ST APT B
CENTRAL SQUARE NY 13036-9103

I will need a receipt and tracking number of the MO
I hope this helps someone.
Last edited by SCDXER on Mon May 08, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k6srd1

Re: Scammer using KD2YCU and KA7MYE calling from 520-222-7187

Post by k6srd1 »

Hi Friends... I too had this kind of issue!

I wanted to share an experience I just had regarding a posting I placed for the want to buy a Drake MS-8 speaker.

Both responders used exactly the SAME 2 pictures when I pressed for pictures of the actual speaker.

I was contacted by two people posing as hams - they used the callsigns names of :
- David Evans N7ZTG in Oregon - ISP in England... hmm! which now doesn't appear in the Call Database!
- David Anderson - KD2YCU in Hudson, New York

Both individuals or "hams" have PO Boxes and are using these calls, name, etc. fraudulently.

I have since removed the ad and blocked them., and wanted you to beware! Following our safe buying and selling practices & protocols is once again validated!

If you see someone using my call, please send me an email at k6srd1@gmail.com.

Thanks for looking and being careful.

BTW - I found a speaker through another source for substantially less than what they offered.

73s, Scott - K6SRD
SCDXER

Post by SCDXER »

This has been a problem on all ham classified sites for 20 years. All of the sites need to consider a simple reporting system to flag posts. I understand scammers will get through but when it happens repeatedly from the same callsigns, email, IP, and/or phone number it shows the site is not safe.
w7apm

Post by w7apm »

QRZ.com has deleted their wanted forum because of these issues. If we complain too much to the swap site administrators about these issues we won't be able to post wanted ads here either.
I don't generally post on QRZ as I don't care for all of the micro-managing there. I think it is just better to do your own due diligence to avoid the scammers. I haven't been ripped off by them yet but I am carefull and they have tried a LOT.
K2WW

Post by K2WW »

I also was emailed by ka7mye ( someone posing as ka7mye)
Unreal
Also was approached by someone who spoofed Doug N9shu's email and call, it looked fake so I got hold of Doug and informed him.
Be CAREFUL!!!!!!
Dean/K2WW