out of ham radio 15 years

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
nyartist

out of ham radio 15 years

Post by nyartist »

Just thinking about getting back into ham radio after a 15 year absence and am wondering what's new in apartment hf antennas?
W0LPQ

Antennas

Post by W0LPQ »

Well, get yourself an AES catalog and take a look. You can also adapt mobile antennas, such as a screwdriver or a lamp if you want VHF. Ham catalogs list quite a variety of them.

Welcome back...!

Bill, WØLPQ
nyartist

apartment antennas

Post by nyartist »

Thanks Bill.... I think I'm going to start with some SWL and study for the Tech and General tests asap....

it feels great having re-discovered this after all these years As great as the internet is ham radio is a different world - more specialized and exciting.

Phil
k6tc

Re: apartment antennas

Post by k6tc »

[

Phil[/quote]

***Look into the DK-3 screwdriver antenna Phil. driven by 12 volts and using a 97" whip on top of it the tube is very easy on the eyes and it will load 10-75 meters very well, very well indeed. I use one on my wifes mobile station and she out contacts me on every DX event...hi...hi
The original inventor of the antenna is Don Johnson of Encarta California and you'll find his antenna's listed online by typeing in DK-3.
good luck and welcome back to the bands.
Tom. K6TC***
I am the owner of a brand new FT-100-D. I would like to chat with other owners of this Yaesu rig to learn it's basic programming
AB8RU

My 1st. 2 M. ant

Post by AB8RU »

I made the 1/2 wave ground plane out of a SO 239 , a peice of alum, clamps, conduit, and the base of a old wall plaque .

Back then I had access to a drill press at work.

have still that Rock Bound Kenwood TM-2200 A probaly convert to packet maybe.

:)
Mark A. Holman AB8RU, CRO
Assoc. Member SBE
W4FJF

Phil - 15 Years ?

Post by W4FJF »

Phil,

Many changes in 15 years, so many that some hams would be bewildered or lost. But you have the right plan. SWL a lot to see or hear the changes since you were last licenced. The study guides will surprise you too with the question pools and the answers to them ! As far as apartment dwelling hamming is concerned there many solutions for antennas and substitute grounding systems. Most all antennas for apartment dwellers are homebrewed because commercial made antennas are not suitable for small spaces. There are a few books available that describe in detail antennas for the apartment ham shack, so called "invisible" antennas, antennas that mount on your windowsill, or in the attic ( if you have access to it ), even antennas that lay right on the roof. You will need an antenna tuner for most antenna designs but a tuner helps out in two ways; it will fool your radio into seeing a 50 ohm load, and it acts as a semi bandpass filter so you won't get into your neighbors toaster ovens, sewing machines, waterbed heaters, and of course, their tv/stereo/dvd/vcr/telephone/ and so on.The perennial low pass filter helps a lot, too. A word of advice though, if anyone spots one of your "antennas" tell them its a new kind of tv or stereo antenna, otherwise you will be blamed for every type of interference known to man from sun static to the cb'er down the road. Yes, I know we are proud of our service, our hobby, and we don't want to mislead our friends and neighbors. BUT, if joe down in apt. 3-c sees a static line across his tv screen caused by an arcing light switch/light dimmer/cracked insulator on the power pole across the street, and its common knowledge there is a ham operator in the building, no amount of explaination by you will convince him otherwise. He KNOWS it is you causing the problem and you darn well better quit right now or else ! The best bet is to try to keep your station as clean as possible and hope for the best. We want you back with us, Phil. So hurry and get your exams passed so we can hear you on H-F soon. Join ARRL now so you can access the members only features on the website, lots of help there. Find and join your local ham club, too. Lots of help and new friends there. Field day is this weekend, lots of fun and fellowship ( even if it does rain ), I hope to help operate W4LEE on vhf and hf. The guys say they will come and shanghai me away if I don't come on my own. Phil, best of luck, and may God bless.

73's - Fred KA2HLW
FRED/W4FJF - EMAIL: ffuhrer@elmore.rr.com
Be careful: The toes you stomp on today may be attached to the butt you may have to kiss tomorrow!