Common Internet scam showing up here

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
ND0B

Common Internet scam showing up here

Post by ND0B »

This is not about a specific user but a warning to anyone who receives a request for this type of transaction. A friend of mine received the attached in response to an ad placed here and was about to start the transaction when he told me about it. I advised caution and that he should query about a few of the details and certainly allow a month or so for the money order to clear. On the basis of this he sent the person an email asking for clarification of several issues. I have not heard the results but it is likely he will just go away.

I was familiar with this type of scam as I sold an RV a few years back and the site where I advertised sent me an email when I placed the ad to be aware of this scam. I received three offers of this sort for my RV.

The way it works is to intice someone into an international transaction where a money order is involved for some amount over the purchase price. The seller is to take care of shipping and send cash for anything over the cost of shipping along with the merchandise. Often a "shipping company" takes care of the details. The problem is the international money order takes quite a while to clear. If it is forged (and in the case of the scam they are) the seller eventually is liable for it so is out the merchandise and the cash. On an internation transaction there is not alot of recourse.

Note this in NOT an indictment on internation transactions, just a heads up on what is likely a scam.

Flags to look for.

1. Request for cash back on an excessive extra included for shipping.
2. A "shipping company"
3. A transaction on behalf of a "client".
4. An international money order. "American" as opposed to "an American" bank.
5. No address, no phone number, (no call) etc.

The message follows. It appears to be a form letter with a few details inserted. The only information my friend actually has on the person is a yahoo address (ie none).

73 de Bill WB0VHW

> Hello,thank you for the prompt response to my enquiry
> am very much satisfied with the price $100 of the item
> and i will like to inform you that am on a 2 weeks
> course in UNITED KINGDOM but am very much intrested in
> your item of which i believe you might have sold
> before i return back to United States.But i have
> contact my client in the state and he said he would
> prefer to issue you a certified check or money order
> from America bank.
> In view of this I need you to email me any information
> that may be required to send the payment such as full
> name,home address,state and your zipcode and i would
> be glad if u include u'r phone #s.Regarding the
> shipping, I have a permanent shipping company that
> takes care of the pickup of my consignments for me and
> ship to my destination , so do not worry about
> shipping, the company will arrange for the shipping of
> the item from u'r location.The check will be in your
> name to make it easier for you to cash payment, please
> reconfirm your details one more time.I will give you
> the details of the company that will be shipping the
> item as soon as we seal this deal.Less i forget, I
> will also like you to know that you will be receiving
> a payment which will comprise the cost of your item
> and shipping and money in upgrading my account with
> my shipping company,that will be coming for the pick
> up of the item in your location as soon as you receive
> the payment go and cash it and deduct the money for
> u'r item and send the balance to the Head Office of
> the shipping company that will handles the shipment in
> US.
K4JC

Post by K4JC »

Also notice that in these type of responses the item in question is never mentioned by name, only as "your item." I also have received these scam responses to items I've listed for sale. Upon receipt of them I head straight for the Delete key!
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Typical Nigerian Scam , it was on the CNN a few weeks back.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

N4ATS wrote:Typical Nigerian Scam , it was on the CNN a few weeks back.
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Nice !

I wrote in the Forum a while back , I played one of these ripp-offs all the way through using an empty box I shipped to Nigeria. Let me see if I can search for it and find it.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I found it...

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The clue is the "(...)" , this is most likely done using a BOT which picks up key words in HTML coding and enters them between the " (...)". I have had a few of these and actually drilled it back to an IP account which was in Nigeria.

I learned of this when I planted a bug on a news group in that I had a "Cheap Antenna Tuner" for sale , Overseas buyers welcome , soon after I got an email with "(Cheap Antenna Tuner)" all over inside the email.

I then proceeded to see "how" it was done , knowing that this $2.00 SWR meter was going to get ripped off.

I received a Western Money Order for $35, then I got an email shortly after with a UPS Label for shipping. I put the UPS label on the box and sent it away.

Two days later , a package arrived on my doorstep from "Old Navy". Inside was 4 pairs of the most expensive jeans.

Within about 2 hours , I got an email from the guy who bought the SWR meter and he stated , he hoped I did not mind he sent some things for me to "forward" to him using the UPS label he would email me.

This is when I started to investigate...

I called Western Union to find out if the "buyer" was OK. They were happy I called in that the check was issued on a Canadian Credit Card that was stolen. This was not reported for a few days , so the Wetern Union check was issued as an "OK" check.

Then I called Old Navy. , the account was opened in MY name with a third party , you got it , Canadian Credit Card.

The biggest problem was even Old Navy would NOT let me close the account because my "Password" and "Identification Questions" could not be matched with that of the guy who opened the account on the phone.

Then I called UPS , guess what , I had a new account for shipping , based in Nigeria. How creative.

I closed that account , finally got Old Navy to close that account and the Canadian Credit Card issued me a refund for the $35 that Western Union wanted back.

To make a long story short , I wanted to see how these operations worked and did it knowingly that I was in for a ride , however I never figured that "accounts" could be opened in my name on someone elses credit card. Bottom line , they can!

All in all , I learned a great deal , lost a cheap SWR meter that was delivered in Nigeria...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
NR9R

Better not to respond at all

Post by NR9R »

I think the moral of the story is to not respond at all to these emails. It sounds like playing along enabled the scammers to victimize others as well. Although it was interesting to find just how many layers there are to the scam. Even replying to the email to write "I know you are a scammer" will provide a working email address which can be sold to SPAMMERS.

Anthony
K4JC

Having fun with the scammers

Post by K4JC »

If you have some time and want to see how these scammers really work, check out this website:

www.419eater.com

Some of the stories are hilarious! :lol:
ND0B

And then they show up on my doorstep too...

Post by ND0B »

Got the following in response to my SB-220 ad. I will not be responding. Even without the obvious scam nature of the reply I would not have sold an amp to someone without a call.

Or perhaps I should allow cash payment by the "global shipping company". I am sure they would enjoy picking it up in North Dakota in January.

73 de Bill WB0VHW

>
> Dear Bill Ockert WB0VHW,
>
> You have received a response to your ad, titled "For Sale: Heathkit SB-220 Amp", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.
>
> The response is from:
>
> Name: steven paul
> Callsign: NONE
> E-mail: stevenpaul_sla@yahoo.com
>
> The response is:
>
> Hello Advertiser,
> Am highly interesting in urgent purchase of your item, but before we proceed in this transaction i will like you to answer the following questions.
> 1. Can you accept payment through cashier check or bank certified check?.
> 2. Can you allow a global shipping company to come for the pick up of the item?.
> 3. What is the final asking prize of the item?
> So kindly get back to me with the full name and address of the place you want the check to be ordered to.However, I hope to hear back from you soon...
>
> Please kindly reply to my private email box for my own security purpose and the email is stevenpaul_sla@yahoo.com ok hope to hear from you soonest
>
> Best regard
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I follow the old tried and true method and that is if it sound's to good to be true it probaly is.......I had a Dectective tell me when i lived in Phoenix that all Bunko people rely on two thing's and one is greed and the other is ignorance.....
Larry Huff K0pd
K4JC

Post by K4JC »

WB0VHW - that's funny, I just got an identical email to yours! In fact, I got 3 of them...one asking the "final price" for some boxes I was offering for free! Let's see, free plus shipping...how's $1,000,000 sound? Hope you got plenty of money there, James ol' buddy! :lol:

Dear Vince Weal K4JC,

You have received a response to your ad, titled "BOXES for Yaesu FT1802 and Vertex VX-150", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.

The response is from:

Name: james
Callsign: NONE
E-mail: jamex1200@yahoo.com

The response is:

Hello.

I will like to know.If you still have this Item for sale.And what is the condition of the Item?Did you accept local pick-up worldwide?What is the final price of the Item?Did you accept cashier check as mode of your payment?So kindlly get back to me with the picture of the Item in other to view it properly .Okay.I will be looking forward to hear from you now.

Regard
James

--------------------------------------------------------
For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:

Listing Number: 631214
Date Ad was Placed: 11/20/07
Name: Vince Weal
Phone Number: 000-000-0000
Callsign: K4JC
Category: MISC
Heading: BOXES for Yaesu FT1802 and Vertex VX-150
Ad Message:
These are just the boxes for a Yaesu FT-1802M and a Vertex VX-150. Both include inserts. I no longer have the radios, and I hate to toss the boxes if someone else can use them. Free, you pay shipping from FL.
ND0B

Forward these to Scott

Post by ND0B »

I have been forwarding these to Scott (I have gotten two of the for the SB-220 now). He emailed me back that he had deleted the first one. I assume the second will suffer the same fate.

The second one was sent after I added the "Sold pending receipt of Funds" line. My ad is gone now so I guess the fun and games are over.

Until the next time I sell something....

73 de Bill WB0VHW
N9SCW

Internet Scam

Post by N9SCW »

Here is what I have received over the last few days in regards to a yaesu ft-857d I have for sell here on this site.

Dec. 5th

Hello Advertiser,
Am highly interesting in urgent purchase of your item, but before we proceed in this transaction i will like you to answer the following questions.
1. Can you accept payment through cashier check,money order or bank certified check?.
2. Can you allow a global shipping company to come for the pick up of the item?.
3. What is the final asking price of the item?
So kindly get back to me with the full name and address of the place you want the check to be ordered to.However, I hope to hear back from you soon...

Dec. 6th

Thanks for your reply okay , i want you to know that , this site was introduce to me by friend , therefore, i ant to know that , im very new to this site okay..moreover, i will like you to update me immediately you recieve the check okay...Thanks once again for your quickly reply , im looking forward to hear from you now , before i proceed with the payment by my client.

Dec. 6th

Thank you so much for your understanding,explaination and honesty,....Before we proceed with this transaction,my client have some few questions from you...Here is it below.

*Will you be able to cash out the Check sameday you recieved it?
*Will you be able to send out the remaining Funds to my Shipping Company sameday you have the Money cashed out?
*Will you be Around when my shipping company will come for the Pick Up of the Item at your base?
*Can will trust you with the Money ?
*How long Distance is your house to your Bank?
*How long Distance is your house to Any Western Union Money Transfer outlet?
*Hope the Item is in Good Condition?
*Sorry to ask How, old are you?
*Email me the pictue of the Item If Available?
I believe you are a Honest person so i will be very grateful if this transaction is Done in a timely manner. i wait your reply as to send out the CHECK.
I will be sending the Cheque to this information:

I have asked this person several times if they are a licensed operator and they are yet to answer my question. I have sent an email asking about why they need a client and why they need to know how close I live to the western union. I will keep you guys updated on his/her response. I will not be scammed and will not send my rig to this person.

For any that is interested the email being used on this transaction is macdornard@yahoo.com I hope I dont offend anyone and if I do I appologize in advance but this seems to be a scam to me. Let me know what you guys think about it.
KC8KZY

Re: Internet Scam

Post by KC8KZY »

N9SCW wrote:Here is what I have received over the last few days in regards to a yaesu ft-857d I have for sell here on this site.

(message trimmed for brevity)

For any that is interested the email being used on this transaction is macdornard@yahoo.com I hope I dont offend anyone and if I do I appologize in advance but this seems to be a scam to me. Let me know what you guys think about it.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.........
ad4c2008

Nigerian scam

Post by ad4c2008 »

I have been selling some items here lately and I have received for each one of them this type of message from unknown buyers offering an international transaction,since the begining they looked very suspicious to me and never has responded to them,so be aware folks,don't fall in this trap.

AD4C