Universal Radio Ohio - do not deal with

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
hobie1

Universal Radio Ohio - do not deal with

Post by hobie1 »

like any times i go over to universal radio to buy ham stuff im alawys treated poorly,i guess thst im a young ham and they think i dont have the money to buy any thing,well i bought a used item over the phone,it does not say any thing about being sold as is, well opon reciving it im over charged 5.00 on the final price.so i call and they refund my money but really rude to me.so thats it i m taking what i just bought back so i drive and get there tell them i would like to return this well they grab my recipt and circle it and say it was sold as is,well it was never lised over the internet as as is,nor the guy larry tell me it was being sold as is,so i stand there and stand there an go back and forth and i tell them over and over i want my money back,well after just standing there for about 1hr45min i think they got tired of seeing me,they refunded my money.so why could they not refund my money when i first got there, I THINK THERE TRYING TO RIP OFF US YOUNGER HAMS[/b]
wc5rr

Check their Website

Post by wc5rr »

You might consider reading their website a bit closer.

Upon inspection, you will find stated:

" limited warranty unless shown "AS-IS""

Items are identified as being AS-IS where applicable.

Not taking sides, but do read all the information in the used equipment section of their website before posting.

Also, having a callsign helps with creditbility.

GL
hobie1

still will not shop at universal-radio

Post by hobie1 »

i hate :evil: when some one trys to stick up for a crap store like universal-radio,the relisted item on the the web site $10.00cheaper and it still does not say sold as is so why did they give me a hard time,to me the only person that should make the next reply is one of the worthless counter guys at universal-radio i will now do most of my buying from Ham Radio Outlet they treat you better and they have better pricesas of 10 -2 -03 now today i see they have it listed as no retuns they must know its junk,how can you sell some thing nowing it dont work,why cant they be honest and just put on the items"sold as is need work"

i will still never shop there again :roll:
steven_isenberg

Post by steven_isenberg »

When an item is sold AS IS it still must work as intended.
It can be dented and scratched.
It can be missing paperwork or the box.
When an item will not work as intended it must be sold as scrap or parts only.
So what is stated on there web site may not always be right.

have a good day
K4ICL

AS IS means just what it says.

Post by K4ICL »

I can not agree that an item sold AS IS means it has to work.

The the sole use of the term AS IS, in the business world, including the auctioning of high dollar items such as aircraft, means the same as "What you see is what you get." There is no warantee of condition, usability, or suitability for any particular purpose.

If you do not want to take the risk of buying a "basket case", don't buy items described AS IS where the state of the item's condition is not described and known problems detailed, etc.
Cheers,

AL
K4ICL
hobie1

Post by hobie1 »

K4ICL
you are one of these people that will sell some thing broke.tell the byer it is in working order but sold as is,and then when you get it its a pile of"junk

universal has not yet replyed o this post.to me it shows poor taste on themself.they know they did some thing wrong and dont want to bite the bucket

hobie1
KE3GK

Anger redirection ....

Post by KE3GK »

Hobie ...

I think that you are directing your anger at the wrong people ...

You need to get in touch with the place that sold you the item if you are not happy with it and talk to them.

I wouldn't expect Universal Radio to reply to you here in this forum either. Since they refunded your money I would consider the case closed and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Don't do business with them anymore, but to attack fellow Hams that were just trying to tell you how things work (and I presume that they have been buying radio gear for a long time) is uncalled for.
hobie1

Post by hobie1 »

KE3GK
i think this is my post if you dont like it dont reply
and i "presume" you get the message.
people like you just eat me up
i think the should reply why did i have to stand there so long for a refund. if i was a taxi driver, i would of been rich. :idea: i must get the point out to other hams to stay away from them
73 hobie1
[/u][/i][/b]
KG6JTB

Post by KG6JTB »

Hobie1

You said you're a ham? What is you callsign? Your case lacks credibility without a callsign.

The folks at Universal Radio are great people.

"AS-IS" is another way of saying "caveat emptor" - buyer beware. You're assuming all risk for the transaction. No seller can state that used gear will "work as intended" or "for a specific purpose". These subjective terms can make the seller liable for damages. How are they to know how you will use the gear, especially if you are not licensed to do so?

If they gave you a refund, your complaint is over. Anything you state beyond that, and you might find yourself sued for slander.

Dave
KG6JTB
hobie1

Post by hobie1 »

the item was never listed as is. nor was i told this when i bought it.,i know i have got my money back,but there is no reason for me to of had to wait so long to get a refund....any other time i bought a used item they told me they backed it up with a 30 day warrenty.i guess they had a hard time selling this in the past my thats why the didnt want to give me my money ..(KG6JTB) :shock: you might watch what u say if you dont know what your replying to a post about :shock: :arrow:
hobie1
kg4yjr

Post by kg4yjr »

hobie1,

Sorry to hear things did not go well for you with Universal Radio. I realize that occasionally you can get the wrong person on the wrong day to assist you and it happens everywhere. It's not always a reflection on the company as a whole. I won't waste my time or yours telling you they've done great things for me including full refunds with them even paying the return shipping, but I can honestly tell you that the owners of the company, Fred and Barbara are accessible to the customers and they do want to hear about rude employees. You see, to an employee of Universal Radio, Fred and Barbara are their paycheck, but to Fred and Barbara they know that it's customers like you and me, good or bad that keep them in business and they will do their best to make a right out of a wrong but you have to be willing to let them. I hope maybe you might consider giving them a second chance as your incident was probably accidental but if not beware. There are other well known companies that intentionally go out of their way to rip-off a customer.

Good luck
73 de Dave
vk2uw

Making others aware and getting the message through

Post by vk2uw »

This site is helping others to get the message around about rippoffs like it is intended. :idea:

Hobbie1 has done just that, Universal Radio will suffer in the long run. :oops:

Bad news travels fast and especially in the Ham Radio world. :arrow:

Keep up the good work Hobbie1. :wink:
Chris Wright
VK2UW
hobie1

thanks for reading my post

Post by hobie1 »

just wanted to thank every one for reading my post, I hope it gives people the idea of the troble I have went thru.once again thanks
73's
HoBiE 1
mcsap

Post by mcsap »

Your complaint against Universal Radio would be more credible if...

1. You had a call sign showing you were a ham.

2. You explained your saga without such sarcasm and immaturity towards others who were weighing in with their comments.

This isn't YOUR thread, it is just one you started. By posting here, you are "asking" for others to respond. Like it or not, not everyone will agree with you ( or me) all of the time.

From your post, I would not be swayed against a purchase from this company.

There probably isn't a business anywhere that someone hasn't had a gripe about. Having said that , you are certainly welcome to say your peace as you have done.

Our perception of it however is up to us.

Although it isn't in my sig, my callsign is N3QZF
hobie1

bump

Post by hobie1 »

bump"ttt" to-the top
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

A rather obvious playground mentality ploy by an author that has been totally childish through the thread. To post just to "bump" the thread to the top with nothing to ad is completely vindictive, childish, and unprofessional. You still have not posted a callsign although you purport to be a "young" ham. The fact that you can utilize a PC seems to be amazing for your limited social skills. You act as though you might be in 1st grade at best. This is over 6 months old fer gawd's sake. You need to find something else to focus your energy toward. Your festering anger is doing nothing positive for the amateur radio community. Get over it and get a life.

I hope that Scott deletes this entire thread in view of the combative tone you have demonstrated throughout it. Shame on you.
hobie1

Post by hobie1 »

you sound like a child your self,sound to me the only one that needs to get a life is you,there is nothing wrong with bumping my post to the top,
73s
de
hobie1
Hector2004

About that store

Post by Hector2004 »

Why to bring that story about a bad deal with a particular store ONE YEAR after? Leave them alone and calm your heat down,don't shake the tree anymore that the whole world is tired to hear same thing again and again. It look that you hate them a lot just for something that could happen to me or to anyone.Its time already to forgett what happened in the past.

AD4C
God bless America
N2PET

Get over it

Post by N2PET »

Someone should call hobie1 a WAAAAHHMMBULANCE> Or maybe an order of french crys! Or maybe HOOKED ON PHONICS!! :wink:
KC8UGM

Post by KC8UGM »

I've bought from Universal several times and never had a problem.Sorry you had trouble.Based on my dealings with them I'll still buy from them .
Carl KC8UGM
:)
AB8RU

Want my 2 cents worth ?

Post by AB8RU »

I have been licensed on the Ham side of things since 1993, Commercially 1976, Let me take what is called a Equiptment Brokers stand ok so I myself bought non working equiptment we all have let me give you the look of things.

1 ) You can learn how to fix that radio is what ham radio is about, if you want to advance in electronics.

2 Pay someone else to fix it and you will never learn how to fix things.

3 Just resell it at the next ham fest take a loss.

4 Donate the item to some place like city of New York and get a tax write off reciept, maybe someone will fix it and have a nice rig for their Radio School.

That is a everyone wins solution.

I always told people that Ok if it does not work broker it out the back door. It satifies people and I have done this for a few years, and clients love the ending sales numbers on the end of day sales reports.

:idea: Your choice, Your Decision, Your Call. :)
Mark A. Holman AB8RU, CRO
Assoc. Member SBE
Jammie

Post by Jammie »

Universal Radio has been good by me. If you like cats take a look at their "cat pages" pictures of their store cats, their employees cats, and their customers cats. Anyone who likes animals this much is OK in my book. Maybe not purrrrrfect but good people.

Also, watch out for "sold as is" ads. It just burns me up when I see a "sold as is" ad posted with a sales price of 80% of what that item would cost new from the manufacture, I run hard and fast every time I see one of these. The seller wants it both ways and the buyer has no recourse. Run, Run, Run.....unless the price is about 10% of what a new item would cost, and plan on it not working. That way if it works when you get it you will feel good about the deal instead of being upset with a DOA item.