Isn't this an Amateur radio site?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
n9vao

Isn't this an Amateur radio site?

Post by n9vao »

Well I have gone long enough without saying something but after looking at today's postings I must speak my peace.
I have felt for a long time that this site was the best on the internet for selling radio equipment, its free, no club to have to be a member of, no special pass words and so on. But after seeing somebody listing a "hole saw" for sale makes me wonder if Scott has openned it up for anything. Over the last year or so I have seen items listed for sale like a motorcycle, camera's, musical instraments, a truck rack, boats & canoes. Am I wrong or is it that because I have an Amateur Radio License I can sell anything here?
Scott, I know its hard sometimes, but please keep your great site just for Ham radio and related items, not hole saws.
.........Wally, N9VAO
K4ICL

It is gone...

Post by K4ICL »

The hole saw ad is history...

K4ICL
N8PQB

Ham radio site

Post by N8PQB »

Wally, I couldn't agree with you more.
Its supposed to be ham radio stuff. I recently seen a house for sale. I guess because it had an antenna he didn't want to take down, that made it a ham related ad. hi hi
I think Scott and the monitors do a respectful job of deleting ads that don't belong. But, somehow I can't help thinking even a less than normal amount of common sense would be able to figure out what is proper.
But alas, there is always the 1% that will push the envelope.

nuff said,
N8PQB
KE5EKO

Post by KE5EKO »

I too agree with Wally in all respects. However, you forgot to mention:
Telescopes, Motorhomes, Stereo Equip., Space Heaters, Cell and Home/Business Telephones and Model Trains...Have a good Day . :D
Mike
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

It is impossible for a well-established free ad site to pre-regulate posts.

Case in point: craigslist.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
W4AIN

Re: Isn't this an Amateur radio site?

Post by W4AIN »

n9vao wrote:Well I have gone long enough without saying something but after looking at today's postings I must speak my peace.........after seeing somebody listing a "hole saw" for sale makes me wonder if Scott has opened it up for anything.....Scott, I know its hard sometimes, but please keep your great site just for Ham radio and related items, not hole saws.
.........Wally, N9VAO
I fail to see why one would not consider a hole saw amateur related. Hole saws have a practical purpose in the amateur radio arena (ie. routing cables through walls/floors). A hole saw is as practical, for the amateur radio enthusiast, as a coax cable stripper, 3ft jumper coax, powerpole connectors, or any number of other things one would find in the average amateur operators junkbox. Just because a few people do not need the item doesn't mean that it is non-amateur related. Should we also consider soldering irons/guns, heat-shrink tubing, and mast pipes unrelated to amateur radio? I would think not. My amateur toolbox is as important to me as my amateur junkbox. Having the proper tools to do the job makes our lives as amateurs less stressful and certainly more productive. OK, you don't need a hole saw to route your cables or whatever into your shack, but that does not mean that NOBODY needs/wants it to add to their amateur radio related toolkit.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

Phil,
I guess I have to admit that your right. So why stop at the hole saw or what you have in your tool box. Why not list cars and trucks for sale? We need them to drive to the amateur radio store and ham fests. How about tables and chairs, tables to put our radios on and chairs to sit on while we use our radios. Maybe even shovels and other yard tools to use when we need to dig holes to put in our towers.
Do you see where I'm going with this? This list could go on and on. Scott has put together a great site to buy, sell or trade amateur radio items and I for one would hate to see it turn into an internet flea market. I don't think that because I have an amateur radio license that I should be able to list anything here.

Wally, N9VAO
N0VPD

ads

Post by N0VPD »

if you dont like whats in the ads or the spelling in those ads, then you have a few choices:
1. go somewhere else to maybe buy an item.
2. ignore the ad.
3. move on to the next ad.
4. this is the most important choice: quit complaining about the contents of the ad and or the spelling in the ad. for those of you that think they are perfect, i suggest that you start your own site. a good name for the site would be "the perfect site"
only those who are perfect in every way may join.
ke4wle

Perhaps...

Post by ke4wle »

There should be a "report this ad as non-ham related" system - similar to how you can flag inappropriate postings on craigslist. Just my 2 cents.
marty_wittrock

Non-Ham Postings.....

Post by marty_wittrock »

I agree - there should be a way to click onto a link that allows readers to enter the posting number as a 'non-ham' ad such that these can be removed permanently once they've been screened by KA9FOX. For those that have 'Ham' real estate, why not open a new category on the classifieds so other hams who are interested in new digs can look those up - - those ads aren't entirely out of scope for this website. Just my two cents....
de Marty (KN0CK)
K9XR

Re: Ham radio site

Post by K9XR »

N8PQB wrote:Wally, I couldn't agree with you more.
Its supposed to be ham radio stuff. I recently seen a house for sale. I guess because it had an antenna he didn't want to take down, that made it a ham related ad. hi hi
I think Scott and the monitors do a respectful job of deleting ads that don't belong. But, somehow I can't help thinking even a less than normal amount of common sense would be able to figure out what is proper.
But alas, there is always the 1% that will push the envelope.

nuff said,
N8PQB
I wonder if N8PQB would think that K3JSN is one of the 1% that is "pushing the envelope" with "non-ham" stuff. WHAT???? You say that N8PQB IS now K3JSN. C'mon NO WAY!!
K4ICL

...report this ad...

Post by K4ICL »

There should be a "report this ad as non-ham related" system -
There is. When you find something needing special attention, email your information to help@QTH.com.

Your email will automatically be sent to the site moderators.

Cheers,

K4ICL