Sold pending funds?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
n9vao

Sold pending funds?

Post by n9vao »

Why do some people post or edit their ad saying "sold pending funds". To me thats like saying I got it sold but don't trust the buyer to do what he said he will do.
I have sold and traded items on QTH.com but never put sold pending funds. I just left the ad there until the money showed up then removed the ad. When e-mails came in asking about the item I sent back an e-mail saying its been sold but I'll keep your e-mail and contact you if the deal falls through.
When I see an ad saying sold pending funds I don't give it a second thought thinking its gone.
N8ERM

Sold pending funds.

Post by N8ERM »

Sold pending funds is the accepted way of telling users of this site that a piece of gear is spoken for. If the person running this ad does not receive the money in a timely fashion he can remove the pending funds from his post. It takes a lot of time for interested parties and sellers to email about an item that is spoken for....73, Terry
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Re: Sold pending funds?

Post by KA9FOX »

n9vao wrote:Why do some people post or edit their ad saying "sold pending funds". To me thats like saying I got it sold but don't trust the buyer to do what he said he will do.
I have sold and traded items on QTH.com but never put sold pending funds. I just left the ad there until the money showed up then removed the ad. When e-mails came in asking about the item I sent back an e-mail saying its been sold but I'll keep your e-mail and contact you if the deal falls through.
When I see an ad saying sold pending funds I don't give it a second thought thinking its gone.
I agree with Terry N8ERM -- you are wasting a lot of people's time by making everyone think the item is still available. Marking it as "Sold Pending Funds" lets others know that the item isn't available at this time and they can move on, and it allows you to keep your ad "on stand-by" in case the buyer doesn't come through with the funds.

IN THE FUTURE... we will have a feature where you can put an ad "on hold" which will take it off the site, but keep it handy in case you need to run it again. At that time, "Sold pending funds" ads will not be allowed.

Leaving ads run for items that aren't actually available are never allowed. Mark it "Sold Pending Funds", or delete it, if the items have been sold. No exceptions.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

I agree with not posting 'Sold, pending funds'.

It makes little sense for the seller to log back into QTH to edit the ad with 'Sold, pending funds, then log back in to delete it once its sold. Just leave it alone and delete it once.

I find the time wasting theory not valid.
It is hard to believe that 99% of the QTH sellers are inundated with 100s of daily email inquiries for their sale items.
So many, in fact, that they can't repsond to each without adding a secratary to the payroll. :D

It takes just seconds for the prospective buyer to email four words...."Still have the item?" and the seller to reply.

This serves a couple of purposes.
1. Allows the seller to 'log' that someone else is interested and establishes a timeline.
2. Gets the buyer into the 'queue' if the deal sours.

N6VMO
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

It makes little sense for the seller to log back into QTH to edit the ad with 'Sold, pending funds, then log back in to delete it once its sold. Just leave it alone and delete it once.
Unfortunately, it is not a perfect world. After the item(s) are sold, the ads were either left on the site until they timed out, or some users would edit the ad with a nice big SOLD sign on it. It would make more sense to just delete the ad rather than hang a SOLD sign, but some users wanted the SOLD sign to stop phone calls and unproductive email traffic. (If you haven't "enjoyed" this phenomenon, you have not been selling much on the Internet, Hi. I have had calls in the middle of the night... rackty rack...)

You are right. Putting "SOLD" really make no sense, as you said, if a person is going to go through the trouble to edit the ad if the item is sold, it make most sense just to delete the ad and be done with it. So users were encouraged to "just delete." Users started deleting their ads and everything was wonderful, right?

But, noooooooo. People would STILL call or email saying they had seen the ad and ask if the item was sold yet! To accommodate those wishing not be be awakened, called to the phone, etc. to tell a prospective buyer the item was sold, it was suggested that "Sold pending funds..." be added instead of SOLD.
I find the time wasting theory not valid.
It is hard to believe that 99% of the QTH sellers are inundated with 100s of daily email inquiries for their sale items.
As I said, you haven't yet "enjoyed" a nice early morning wake up call from a person living on the east coast who has been up for two hours already and is bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to talk about buying your stuff. Maybe, you are just lucky.
It takes just seconds for the prospective buyer to email four words...."Still have the item?" and the seller to reply.
I don't know about you but I don't want to have to send out even a single email if I don't have to. If "SOLD pending funds..." is added to my ad, I don't have to.

If the deal sours I am going back to my ad, remove the "SOLD pending..." sign (easier than creating a whole new ad!) and wait for more users to contact me.

After all, it IS an imperfect world.

K4ICL
Last edited by K4ICL on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

I have had the problem of phone calls very late at night or very early morning for ads I listed on internet or newspaper. The best thing to do, only list your e-mail address if you have one. I have seen many ads in newspaper classifieds now with e-mail address rather then phone numbers. Also, get a Yahoo or Hotmail address rather then posting your ISP address.
N5JFJ

Post by N5JFJ »

:shock: I remember doing a search... for an Item I was looking for... and spent quite some time emailing folks and waiting for replies from some of those who said "Oh I sold that Item back on"...Man????? :? ...If the Item was sold... "PLEASE" JUST DELETE THE AD!
73's and May God Bless you and your Family
W0LC

Agreed with Scotts approach

Post by W0LC »

The reason it is stated that way is some individuals tell you they want the item, and then weeks go by without seeing the funds. When you do get ahold of them, they give you some story that they changed their mind, didn't have the money, etc. It makes sense.

But, to have a standardized way of doing it as Scott states, is preferred. That way everyone uses the same dictionary of terms.

Kinda like telling someone to return an item for refund and then never sending the money. It says one thing, but can really end up meaning another.

Listening to this Paul? Take notes.
w5kc

Post by w5kc »

There must be a better way. I know of one ad that has been out on the board for several weeks marked "sold pending funds". If it has taken that long to get the bucks then something needs to change.
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w5kc

Post by w5kc »

KD1UJ wrote:
w5kc wrote:There must be a better way. I know of one ad that has been out on the board for several weeks marked "sold pending funds". If it has taken that long to get the bucks then something needs to change.
And if it's an item you want, you can initiate the change yourself: Send the seller a note pointing that out if the previous buyer wasn't able to perform in a timely fashion, you can and will!
I did that, and got no response. So just like most people would do, I blew it off as gone. However, that still does not change the facts or address the problem. Seems it will become a moot point based on KA9FOX's new feature statement.
kc6vlg

Sold pending funds

Post by kc6vlg »

There are times when I want to go back and look at an ad I saw a few days prior. With out the "Pending..." I would not know if the ad is purged. I would waste my time trying to find it again somewhere in the pile of hundreds of ads. But if it is "pending...." then I know that I found the intended ad and move on since the item is "almost sold"
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Old ads?

Post by KA9FOX »

FYI, I intend on having the old ads searchable also. At least that is the plan... :D

- Scott KA9FOX
N8PQB

Sold Pending

Post by N8PQB »

I have a slightly different opinion, or I am more bold to spell it out. IMHO I think the sellers that use the sold pending, are either:
A. To lazy to write the ad again
B. Not quite sure how to write their ad in Notepad, and save it, in case they need to use it again.

I think there are some who should write it in a good Word Processor, especially the ones with a spell and Grammer Checker.

********** But that is another whole subject.***************