Dentron 160-10L No ALC

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
emory

Dentron 160-10L No ALC

Post by emory »

Hve a question,
I am running a TS940S/AT the rig was designed to put out 150 watt's.
I hve bought a Dentron 160-10L amplifier running 4-572B's.
Now my question is
Running the cable from the rig to the relay of the amp.
"The Dentron Amp Has no ALC so how can I safely run the amp without Frying my rig?"
Tnx
WA9WVX

RF Amplifier ALC

Post by WA9WVX »

Emory,

The true purpose of ALC Automatic Level Control is not really to increase talk power, but to prevent RF signal splatter interference. When the signal is fed to the final RF amplifier stage and it's over driven, the result is adjacent-frequency splatter. This would be the familiar "flat-topping" of signal peaks seen on a station monitor's oscilloscope when the SSB transmitter is misadjusted.

The ALC DC Voltage is derived from the RF Amplifier's internal power supply and sampled from the RF output section which is sent back to the transceiver via a small coaxial cable generally using a RCA plug. If perhaps this is not available on your older Dentron Amplifier, just reduce the RF Output to 80 to 100 Watts on your Kenwood transceiver.

Increasing the station's RF power output from 100 Watts to 400~500 Watts will provide a +6 dB increase on the receiving end or 1 S-Unit.

Dan
kc0yef

Dentron 160-10L

Post by kc0yef »

How do you have your Dentron set up?
Are you using it on SSB or continuious?

I just picked one up last week and have it wired for 220 now I need to run the lines
Also th Manual I have seems very small I did also find the schematics
kc0yef

ALC

Post by kc0yef »

Reply Emory??
Ghostwriter thanks for that information
I think Emory is a Ghost Must have blown up his Dentron
kc0yef

Re: Dentron 160-10L No ALC

Post by kc0yef »

12 years Emory?
ku3x

Re: Dentron 160-10L No ALC

Post by ku3x »

Lots of amps now a days do not provide ALC. The Alpha 8410 does not. Elecraft K3's don't ever provide an ALC jack on the back of their radios.

You have to turn the power down on the radio to your desired power level. Start at 65 watts to tune the amp. Once tuned, bump up the power a tad until you get close to your desired output. Retune the amp and add a little more drive if needed. Don't try to hit 1200 watts on the mark. Once you get close to 1000 watts you are doing good. Nobody on this planet will see the difference, on their receive radio, between 1000 watts and 1200 watts.

Barry