Shipping by UPS & Others

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
ab6gq

Shipping by UPS & Others

Post by ab6gq »

First of all, I have found that the less time an item is in the hands of the shipper, the less time they have to destroy it. Priority Mail vs Parccel Post is a good example. Next, if your shipper has standards for proper packing, be sure to follow them to the letter, or a claim will be denied. Double boxing refers to the item properly packed inside a box, and then that box inserted tightly inside another box. Like Kenwood packs their heavy transceivers, of instance. This actually stronger than putting packing between the two boxes.
Lastly, I was speaking with a UPS counter guy, who has been with them for many years. He candidly advised me to NEVER write "Fragile" or anything else on a package that will single it out. He told me that the people who handle the packages out in the warehouse are all part time workers without any benefits, and they only take the job until they can find something better. They hate UPS and are holding big time grudges against the company. The way they get even is to do theirn best to destroy any package that indicates that it is high dollar insured, or fragile. I have actually seen a transceiver that was properly packed arrive with the main tuning knob driven clear into the middle of the radio from shipping damage.
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

Lastly, I was speaking with a UPS counter guy, who has been with them for many years. He candidly advised me to NEVER write "Fragile" or anything else on a package that will single it out. He told me that the people who handle the packages out in the warehouse are all part time workers without any benefits, and they only take the job until they can find something better. They hate UPS and are holding big time grudges against the company. The way they get even is to do theirn best to destroy any package that indicates that it is high dollar insured, or fragile. I have actually seen a transceiver that was properly packed arrive with the main tuning knob driven clear into the middle of the radio from shipping damage.
I think suggesting that one should not place Fragile notices on an electronics package is VERY BAD advise. A much better approach, if one is willing to assume the above quotation has merit, is to NOT ship anything by UPS. Why would anyone want to expose their equipment to such treatment?

Placing a Fragile notice on your package puts the carrier on notice that you do not expect your package to handled like a box of rocks.

Nuff said...

K4ICL
Last edited by K4ICL on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Fragile or not, it doesn't matter to UPS!

About two weeks ago, I ordered a new CD-RW drive for my computer. About a week later, the intercom buzzes; UPS is at the front gate.

"I got a package for you"

"Gimme two minutes. I'll be there to get it"

"Ya better hurry up; I ain't got much time. Or it's goin' over the gate!"

"It's a drive for my computer."

"I don't care. It's goin' over the fence!"

REVERSE PERISTOLSIS!!!

JERRY

N9LCD

:twisted:

PS: They delivered an 866A today, the same way!!!
K4ICL

Call this number...

Post by K4ICL »

UPS is a reactive (sometimes!) corporation and rarely proactive.

Call this number and report any problems you have with any UPS delivery person at any time, 1 800-742-5877 Be prepared to give the tracking number of the package.

Don't wait for all of the selection options just punch "0". Ask for a supervisor and indicate you are reporting on an issue with home delivery services.

Can't hurt...

Of course there is a better way to deal with rude, inefficient or unprofessional UPS delivery people. Don't use UPS and tell shippers not to use UPS.

K4ICL