How you get ripped on eBay

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
N4ATS

How you get ripped on eBay

Post by N4ATS »

How eBay scammers get your money. So far I have tracked several listings on eBay back to a scammer, here is how it works. You get an email from an eBay user that looks just like a real one that eBay uses. (Not hard to do) It may say something like “I won the item, where do I send funds”. Anyways when you go to respond, it asks for your eBay user name and password. Now it is too late, he has your information.

The target for him is an eBay user that has not had any listings for a few weeks. He then logs in with YOUR ID and password. He lists a bogus item like the “Kenwood TS-2000” yesterday for a time of only 24 hours. He then adds a comment in the body of the eBay Item that states, email me for buy it now of $500 or whatever. He alters the original owners PayPal ID to his. You email him and he gives you the details, you Paypal him, and wham, he is gone. You lose.

The reason for a 24 hour auction is so that the real owner of the account has not a clue to what happened. On then off.

Clues, radios of three time value of the auction, FREE shipping, and multiple radios in stock (like three available)

I have actually emailed the “guy” and do get responses. He asks you for quite a bit of information for shipping then goes in for the kill by stating you pay him through eBay , which if you fall for it , you do, since Paypal is eBay’s. If you do NOT have a verified PayPal account, it is a snap to rip someone off.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
ve4xt

E-mail scams

Post by ve4xt »

N4ATS raises a good flag. Here are some foolproof ways to avoid getting ripped off. The thread referred to eBay, so I will here, but insert anything instead of eBay and the advice is the same.

1. If you did not bid for an item on eBay, you cannot have won the auction. Know your bids.
2. If you do not have an eBay account, you cannot have won the auction.
3. If it's possible the e-mail is legit, DO NOT RESPOND, DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING inside the e-mail. Delete the message. Close your e-mail program. Open your browser. Access your eBay account in the normal manner. Check your account activity from inside eBay.
4. NEVER, EVER try to correspond with the sender of such e-mails: first, eBay and PayPal and others DO NOT USE MONITORED e-mail addresses for sending legitimate notices. Hit reply to a real eBay message and NOBODY WILL EVER see it. So there is no need to ever respond. Second: if it's a scame and you do reply, you've just given the fraudster more ammunition for when he might try again.

Some flags the e-mail is not legitimate:

1. It does not refer to you by name. E-mail scams are usually mass-produced and often insert the e-mail address instead of eBay's usual practice of a standard letter salutation (Dear Bob Jones,)
2. Roll your mouse over a link in the e-mail (do not click): most e-mailers will show you the address at the bottom of the screen. If the URL starts with ANYTHING that's not ...ebay.com (say, http://www.123fun.co.uk/ebay), it's fraud.
3. If it comes to an e-mail address that you do not have posted in your eBay profile, IT IS FRAUD!
4. If it sounds too good to be true, it ain't true.
5. If it is addressed to 'undisclosed recipients', it is fraud.

And remember this: nothing truly urgent and confidential will ever be sent via e-mail. There are no 'International lotteries" waiting to send money to overseas winners via e-mail, there are no relatives of deceased African dictators looking to deposit millions into your account (fall for this one and you could end up resting in pieces somewhere in the Nigerian outback!), no disaffected middle manager at any South African bank will be seeking to shelter money in your hands.

If it comes from someone you do not know, is about something you know nothing about and asks you to do something out of the ordinary, IT IS FRAUD.

73, kelly
ve4xt
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

One added great point . I never thought of this....

If you do get an email from eBay through your personal email account asking for payment or buy it now price, etc , don't open it , log into your real eBay account and look at "my messages". If it is not there , most likely it's a fake.

If you aready bit the bullet and opened one of these emails and already logged in , go change your password.

Great catch ve4xt !!!!!
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

If you go here fast before he comes here , see's me posting this and removes the item , you can see it in action!

The fraud guys email is procoms1@aol.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAESU-FT-1000-MP-Ma ... dZViewItem
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Ahhh , so you ARE a visitor of qth.com... Imagine that , counter went up 2 hits and the item was removed from eBay , gotcha... All in 2 minutes after I posted my last comment.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Ahh , he is getting sloppy...He missed one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-new-hitachi-4 ... dZViewItem

If you use google.com and search for his email address , he's been around…
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Ahhh , the mother load... I have it backed up if anyone wants it!

http://ebarnak.free.fr/non_inscrit/txt/alienware.txt
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Here is a great article to read to learn more...

http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/1480591
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Here is is today along with over 800 eBay fraud listings!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0017100198
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
GERM37

Post by GERM37 »

THE way ebay tells you to check on these messages is to go to my ebay and check your message box and if it is not listed in it then it is not from ebay,very easy way to check I have used it many times.
SHERMAN.
K2DC

Post by K2DC »

eBay and PayPal will tell you that they never, NEVER send emails, with or without links that ask you to send or update personal or account information. If you EVER get an email from either asking you to log on through a link to update information, simply forward the email to:

spoof@ebay.com for eBay phishing

spoof@paypal.com for PayPal

Do not copy and paste the information to another email, simply forward the original email. The original email contains a header that contains the troute that the original email came from and through so they can investigate. And they are very active in the investigations. You will receive one or two follow-up emails fairly quickly explaining that the received email did not come from eBay or PayPal. It will also direct you to keep an eye on "My Messages" in your account for any update requirements, to only make those changes within their system, and provide links to their security information pages.

It's that simple - forward, then delete. I get several every week to my registered eBay email address, to another email adress that eBay and PayPal don't have, and even through a reflector that comes to the unregistered email adress.

Great info!

Post by w0bkr »

The methods to scam people these days are amazing complex and some are very slick at looking "legit". When I use EBay, I go to the message section and if I don't see one there, I know the one I received in my e-mail is probably bogus.

Thanks for providing that info. Never hurts to be informed!!