Which shipping method do you prefer? USPS, UPS, FedEx or ?

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.

For most shipments, which method do you prefer?

US Mail (USPS)
49%
UPS
24%
FedEx
28%
Other
No votes
I never ship anything!
No votes

Total votes: 68

Odd I/O (ksym SanAntonio)

Overall USPS

Post by Odd I/O (ksym SanAntonio) »

To me, USPS is a far better service than the other carriers in all aspects. UPS can handle larger packages; this is the only time I will use UPS. Fedex Ground these days is offering some EXTREMELY competitive rates and I am considering giving them a few trial runs.
To me, music amplified with tubes is the audio equivalent of a good home cooked meal; Solid state is the audio equivalent of a meal that came from a microwave oven.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Definitely prefer USPS, receiving and sending. Too many bad stories about UPS (especially) and FedEx to recount.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
Ko3g

Shipping

Post by Ko3g »

Recently a ham suggested I price Fedex and compare shipping costs with the other two, UPS and USPS.

Between our zip codes, I entered an 18 pound box and here were the results for same weight and dimensions: (you can google Fedex shipping calculator, UPS shipping calculator, or USPS shipping calculator).

Cost comparison for three shippers:

Fedex: $10.88
UPS: $15.88
USPS: $17.66

We have a local Fedex/Kinkos store and I have found them to be helpful and more than friendly. I have not made any claims with any shipper so I cannot suggest shipping on any other basis than cost. Naturally a US Post office will be found in nearly every town unlike the other two shippers.

Also some towns have businesses that will ship for you and they add a surcharge onto the basic rate.

73, Les, ko3g
N4XTS

FedEX here

Post by N4XTS »

I have been selling and trading over the net since the days of rec.radio.swap. In the beginning when UPS actually had company owned service centers for consumers, I used them exclusively. Then they closed them, had the strike back in 1997, and their service started sucking. Today I despise them, their drivers are lazy union employees who deliver packages whenever they feel like it. Despite the fact that packages are sent insured for over 1,500 US and signature required, they left a brand new VXR-7000 sitting outside the house in the rain. time after time, anything sent UPS is always delayed. I don't live in a remote area, I'm 7 miles from downtown Atlanta, and about the same from one of their many hubs. They suck and I loathe them.

USPS I've had mixed results from, I'd say 90 percent of packages sent Priority Mail get here or there within 3-4 days. Some have taken 2 weeks, including one sent from St. Mary's Ga (south Ga) but it got here. But they have lost a couple of packages and their tracking is a BAD JOKE. Delivery confirmation is worthless, and as far as Paypal is concerned, won't cover you if a package is lost as it won't count as proof of shipment.

I've been using FedEX for over 3 years now. They've never lost a package, their tracking is top notch, and I can get a scanned PDF online of a signature, trust me if you take Paypal and do Ebaying this will COVER YOUR BEHIND. Their deliveries are always on time. The biggest advantage with FedEx is being able to go to an actual COMPANY OWNED service center, which they have many in Atlanta. I can deal with corporate FACE-TO-FACE, which speaks volumes about a company. They also stay open to 8:30.
Amateur radio gets right through.
KF4UJA
Location: Snowflake, in SW VA, halfway between Gate City & Nicklesville, VA

Shipping

Post by KF4UJA »

Well, we all can learn something everyday! I normally ship however the purchaser requests. But, after reading the previous posts, I definitely will be comparing rates in the future. Whether I'm buying or purchasing. And, I will suggest to the seller that he/she compare rates. However, where I am located, the nearest drop-off for FedEx would be a 36 mile round trip. The cost in gas may be more than the lowest rate for shipping via FedEx. :!:
God's Abundant Blessings on all of you, and 73
W5ROY

I like uncle sams guys

Post by W5ROY »

I prefer to ship via USPS whenever possible. My next door neighbor works for UPS, and comes home for lunch. Every day I see dropped packages,and they leave them out in front of your door when you are not home. I generally get smaller stuff, and the USPS is quick and reliable,and if I'm not here the postman delivers it the next day. Next is Fed-ex, never had a problem with them, and they are friendly and helpful. 73 good luck :roll: de W5ROY
Central control for ENMARC storm spotters. KC5EGP master control.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

SHIPPING: For small items, tubes, etc., I prefer the USPS. They're about a 10-minute walk and the counter staff is helpful. For larger items, receivers and heavy gear, it's FedEx ground. I've never had a USPS claim, either as a seller or buyer. I had one FedEx claim as a seller and, except for a few hq staff who didn't know what they were talking about, the claim was satiosfactorily resolved.

RECEIVING: The USPS all the way. I've never caught our carrier lobbing or dropping packages marked "FRAGILE" over ouir front gate.

UPS: ABSOLUTELY NEVER!!! I don't use it and I ask my sellers not to use it.

N9LCD