BEWARE OF USING UPS!

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
N2PET

BEWARE OF USING UPS!

Post by N2PET »

Anyone using UPS for shipping BEWARE!! I shipped a Yaesu HF radio high end model that was packed and shipped through a UPS STORE. Was damaged in shipment (with insurance) and now UPS won't pay claim. Not properly packed! Bottom line is UPS SUCKS!!! Be warned! :evil:
Jackh

Properly packaged radios

Post by Jackh »

How did you pack it?
Was it doubled boxed? Did you have fragile labels?
If not, you should have had several inches of popcorn all around.
Did they ask you if it was breakable?
I'm not trying to place the place on you however you have to remember boxes do get stacked and fall off conveyor belts... on the other hand warehouse people & drivers do toss things without consideration
K4ICL

Hmmmm...

Post by K4ICL »

Maybe I read it wrong.

The way I read it, the radio was packed by the UPS store. If so, how can they dodge their responsibility for the damage?

Just curious. Who packed the radio? How was it packed?

K4ICL
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

I would not write this off! Your post says that a UPS store packed and shipped it. I would go after them with a small claims court action.
I was told by UPS that if their people pack it and it is damaged they pay for it if you insured it.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

I'm not defending "Brown", but I want to set the record straight:

"UPS STORES ARE NOT OWNED BY UPS. MOST ARE OWNED BY FRANCHISEES!"

That makes a big difference!

Jerry

N9LCD

PS: I don't have any stake in U.P.S.
K4ICL

Maybe...

Post by K4ICL »

Last year UPS started buying mailing services stores and putting their name on them. They are UPS owned and operated.

If you get burned by any business offering packing for shipment, UPS owned or not, you are not responsible for the damage if the packing is inadequate!

The business you paid to pack it is responsible. So, DON'T LET THEM OFF THE HOOK. Take them to court if you have to but don't walk away and absorb the cost of the damage yourself.

Nuff said...

K4ICL
N8MPX

Post by N8MPX »

actual data off of a UPS tracking email

Exception Reason: THE RECEIVER'S ADDRESS IS INCOMPLETE. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THE ENTIRE ADDRESS AND COMPLETE THE DELIVERY.
Exception Status/Resolution: A POSTCARD HAS BEEN SENT TO THE RECIPIENT REQUESTING THAT THEY CONTACT UPS. (STATUS)

I had to know the logic behind this resolution so I called customer service to find out. They gave me the answer that the post office would be able to find my address and deliver the post card !!!! I asked it they could fix the address problem on the phone and stated that I had to wait for the post card.

Another reason I dont us UPS to ship....

John P
N8MPX
Odd I/O (ksym SanAntonio)

Re: BEWARE OF USING UPS!

Post by Odd I/O (ksym SanAntonio) »

radioactive wrote:Anyone using UPS for shipping BEWARE!! I shipped a Yaesu HF radio high end model that was packed and shipped through a UPS STORE. Was damaged in shipment (with insurance) and now UPS won't pay claim. Not properly packed! Bottom line is UPS SUCKS!!! Be warned! :evil:
Yep, that's typical UPS arrogance. Can you imagine going to a restaurant and ordering some food and the waiter accidently drops your plate on the floor; and then, when you reasonably ask for a new plate of food, the manager says: NOPE, SORRY, WE CAN'T GIVE YOU ANOTHER PLATE OF FOOD. IT WASN'T OUR FAULT THE PLATE WAS DROPPED ON THE FLOOR, BECAUSE THE WAITER WAS OUTSOURCED FROM A STAFFING AGENCY"
UPS is VERY NOTORIOUS for trying to weasel out of paying damage claims. Don't even bother with the telephone reps or the people at the UPS store. Call the 1-800-742-5877 number and as soon as you have made your way through the automated telephone menu obstacle course and subsequently made contact with a living breathing circus clown (ooops, I meant to say "Customer Service Professional") , immediately ask for someone in management. The rep will probably try to take your name and ph# and tell you that someone in management will "call you back" as soon as possible. Tell them that you don't want a callback; you want to speak to a manager NOW. The call centers that answer that phone number are not owned by UPS. They are outsourced teleservice agencies. When the manager finally comes on the line, ask him or her for the UPS corporate complaints number. Those are the people you need to talk to. The UPS stores and the 800 number are literally designed to be "insulation" between UPS and a customer with a complaint. UPS is very arrogant in that regard. How do I know this? I worked for one of the teleservice agencies that fielded UPS calls for 7 years between 1995 and 2002. Things may be organized a little bit different now that it's five years later, but I'm sure that the basic idea that the only way to get things done with them is to go to the top still is true with that company.
To me, music amplified with tubes is the audio equivalent of a good home cooked meal; Solid state is the audio equivalent of a meal that came from a microwave oven.