Why no response?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
KI4G

Why no response?

Post by KI4G »

I have replied to at least 5 ads on QTH and only one person has replied - and his item was already sold. I jsut wonder why folks post items for sale and then when you contact them via that online form, they never reply. Is this common on here?

Thanks

Bob, KI4G
KC4RAN

Post by KC4RAN »

I have noticed the same thing. People that list items for sale or trade, maybe they reply to you once, probably not at all.

Then there are the good ones, they let you know either they're not interested or that it's sold...

Then there are the great ones that do all of the above, plus they go back and edit the ad to say it's sold.

Posting the ad is only the BEGINNING of the process people...
N8PQB

Post by N8PQB »

I often wonder why some guys go back and mark the item SOLD. Why not just delete the thread? Doesn't make much sense to me to clutter up the pages with items that are no longer available.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Exactly.

Like the Leonard Nimoy refrain,
"Highly illogical"
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
kb9wzj

Re: Why no response?

Post by kb9wzj »

KI4G wrote:I have replied to at least 5 ads on QTH and only one person has replied - and his item was already sold. I jsut wonder why folks post items for sale and then when you contact them via that online form, they never reply. Is this common on here?

Thanks

Bob, KI4G
Bob,
Well first off, welcome to my world. If you research my posts, you will see something just like what you are inquiring about. I was told I am a bad trader because I don't call. I tried to explain I was merely trying to get a simple question answered (IE: is that an AL-80A or B?) in which the person listing the ad SHOULD have already posted that information. Not wanting to waste my valuable time and a phone call, I would just email them and wait and wait for a reply. Well, what I didn't realize was that I am to actually call the person listing and find out all about his kids, job, wife's job, their grandchildren, their income, what kind of tower and antennas he has, and after a 2 hour conversation, am I to then, and only then ask my negligible question.
Yes, I am being sarcastic, but this is what I was really told. Now that I am busy with a career, new baby and other hobbies, all my stuff sits and I rarely even look for stuff to buy. If I need anything, I'll call the manufacturer direct and let all the "Professional Sellers" keep their magic markered - straightened with a pair of pliers - only used to dx old ladies on Sunday POSs. 73 and best of luck to you.
kb9wzj

Post by kb9wzj »

N8PQB wrote:I often wonder why some guys go back and mark the item SOLD. Why not just delete the thread? Doesn't make much sense to me to clutter up the pages with items that are no longer available.
In my opinion, if some one was looking for something, and later went back to it, he/she could then see it was sold, and not to contact the seller.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

And if they saw it was deleted it wouldn't have the same effect?
kb9wzj

Post by kb9wzj »

N6ATF wrote:And if they saw it was deleted it wouldn't have the same effect?
Actually, NO. The seller simply could have changed where they wanted to sell the item, IE: Ebay or a local source.

Marking it as SOLD is a great way to make sure that no one will email or call you looking for the lost/sold item. 73
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Even so, perhaps the seller no longer wants to sell to/deal with annoying QTH users like us, and eliminate receiving calls from many people who ignore the word "SOLD".
kb9wzj

Post by kb9wzj »

N6ATF wrote:Even so, perhaps the seller no longer wants to sell to/deal with annoying QTH users like us, and eliminate receiving calls from many people who ignore the word "SOLD".
WHAT was I thinking?!?! NO ONE can read any more!

N8PQB

Post by N8PQB »

All of your comments have some merit, however, I will stick to my way of doing things........when its gone, its gone! I delete the ad, anyone looking for it to respond, don't find it. I trust when they can't find it they are smart enough to figure out its no longer available.
W5YMB

N8PQB

Post by W5YMB »

" Is it still available ? "
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Being on both ends of the transaction, that's a valid question. Some people put up so many ads they lose track of them all, and neglect to delete their ad when it is sold.

Back in the day, the excuse was that the newspaper classified couldn't be "deleted", and it's still there to some extent, but those classifieds have taken a nose dive with eBay, Craigslist, and Backpage offering wider exposure than local papers.
wa8mea

Post by wa8mea »

-
Last edited by wa8mea on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI4G

Re: Sometimes....

Post by KI4G »

wa8mea wrote:I RARELY don't answer a reply to an ad: But I have been known not to reply because:

-The person is obviously NOT serious about buying. This is evident by his/her mentioning that they are "thinking about buying one of these."

-The person has a term paper's list of questions, 95% of which are already answered in the ad itself.

-The person is trying to make me an offer or make me a trade. Had I wanted to take a lower price, I would have stated "O.B.O." in the ad. If I wanted to swap, I would have said so.

Other reason why you might not get a response is your e-mail filters. I have totally quit the practice of sending out shipping info to my customers until they inquire. 80% of the time, they are using a "special people only list" of e-mail recipients. And since my e-mail address isn't in that list of "special people", my e-mail comes back as undeliverable. So now we only give shipping info when a person inquires. And sometimes I won't respond to that, if I go to the Delivery Confirmation page and see that it's being delivered that day. It's like a surprise package! I know they're getting it in today's mail. But they don't know it yet. So why spoil the fun of a surprise? :wink:

73, Bill - WA8MEA
http://HamRadioFun.com
In other words you want the person to beg you to sell them your item?!?!? Certainly clears it up from your perspective! :lol:

Bob
wa8mea

Post by wa8mea »

-
Last edited by wa8mea on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI4G

Post by KI4G »

The purpose of my first post was to ask why folks do not reply. When I send an email asking if the item is still avaiable and how they accept payment and where to send payment to, etc., I think it shows clear intent to purchase. My time is too valuable to waste it fishing for fun in the ads - when I find what I contact the buyer with the intent to purchase. Sort of hard to do if the person with the gear never replies

Bob