What's with the 11 meter equipment?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N8QBY

What's with the 11 meter equipment?

Post by N8QBY »

It seems like there has been quite a bit of cb radio equipment for sale on this site. 10/11 meter radios, you know the ones. Even being advertised with illegal amplifiers, without a license at that. End of the world? No but I would hope that this stuff wouldn't make it to this site. Oh well, just one mans opinion on things.
K4ICL

Help the monitors...

Post by K4ICL »

If you see ads posted on QTH.com that violate QTH.com Classified rules and/or policies, please send an email reporting your discovery to help at qth. com. This action will immediately notify the site monitors.

Thanks,

K4ICL
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I agree they may not be appropriate to list here for sale because of rules that QTH may have in place, but “the end of the world”?, I do not think so… In other words, “for those of you that NEVER played with a CB, Illegal linear or even hit the TX button one time with MARS/CAP (out-a-band) completed on your radio” feel free to bash CB. I think you will find a very small group, if any, makes a comment.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

To N4ATS, sir, if you look at my original post, my comment was: "The end of the world? No but.....I was basically stating that no, I guess it isn't that important but this is supposed to be a ham radio related site. As for cb, I owned cb's back in the early 70's into the early 80's. It was a great time back then. My friends and myself went on to get our amateur license. All my point was meant to mean was, one can find those radios and equipment on E-bay, as they don't seem to care what is sold. Anyway, 73 to all.
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I see that and no fault was thought , I just meant I would like to see posts from anyone who has "never" messed with a CB or Linear amplifier ever. It would be neat to see if anyone exists....
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K7HC

CBs and Liniars

Post by K7HC »

YES - I do exist!!
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

N8QBY wrote: I owned cb's back in the early 70's into the early 80's. It was a great time back then.
I got news for ya .... it still is great fun!
There are a lot more local CB'ers than there are local hams.
Now that the sunspot cycle has bottomed out it seems the upper Ham bands are dead most of the time.
Even when 11 meters opens up 10 meters is silent.
Where are all the hams ?????

There are a lot of local CB'ers studying for the tech and general ham ticket.
Ya want to promote Ham radio then get on the CB and act like a HAM not like a stuck up jerk!
After all RADIO IS RADIO and setting the good example is what we should do no mater what band we are using.
Where else are ya gonna find a group intrested in talking about radio?
Talk Nice, Be Friendly, and ignore the jerks and dont fuss with them.
BTW ... it is not illegal to identify yourself with your ham call on CB ... in fact it draws attention and promotes questions.

One more thing ... please dont use your ham radio to transmit on 11 meters.
Not only do you put your ham ticket at risk but it sets a very bad example and gives us all a black eye.
A legal CB radio hooked up to a good antenna system will talk to just about anyone you can hear.

William Lee N5WRX
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

This article was not intended to get into a debate of ham vs cb. Let's not hijack this article into an argument. I was just commenting on some items seen on here recently. I was not dissing cber's or hams, so don't make anything more out of it than was intended. 73 Pat N8QBY
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

I`m another one of the "rare" ones.....
Gilles, in the great white north..
KU4MY

Post by KU4MY »

Well Pat, I suppose if you had posted this in 'Classifieds Discussion' or 'Free for All', then you wouldn't have attracted responses that you didn't expect or desire. After all, this is supposed to be where you check or leave feedback about other users. :wink:
73 de Tom, KU4MY
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

To KU4MY, Tom, you are absolutely correct. My bad. This was a early am post, so I wasn' t thinking properly anyway. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. 73 to all. Pat N8QBY
N8PQB

CB Radio

Post by N8PQB »

I have only been around the ham bands for 15+ years, so I cannot speak of what it was like before then. So please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but back before it was called "Citizen Band" wasn't it referred to as "11 meter band"? Also wasn't the 11 meter band originally a amateur radio frequency allotment?

Oh, and for those that are keeping score, I was very active in CB during the late 60's and 70's. However, that was before it went to trash. But I only had, "output variables" on days that ended in "Y", the rest of the time I stayed in local chats only. Hi HI.

Tom, N8PQB
K4ICL

Eleven Meters ...

Post by K4ICL »

I have only been around the ham bands for 15+ years, so I cannot speak of what it was like before then. So please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but back before it was called "Citizen Band" wasn't it referred to as "11 meter band"? Also wasn't the 11 meter band originally a amateur radio frequency allotment?
Yes, it was the 11 meter ham band.

One of the FCC's most ill advised actions was the creation of a "citizen's band" in the HF spectrum. There were several better alternatives.

K4ICL
KN4N

11 meter

Post by KN4N »

That must have been one heck of a party the (FCC) had when they deceided to create a citizens band for short range communications on one of the
LLO N G E S T skip bands we had!
"Old Bill" in Greeneville, TN
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Gee correct me if i'm wrong but as i recall the reason 11 meter's was chosen for the then new Citizen's band was due to neglect of use by Ham's......
Larry Huff K0pd
K4ICL

Bingo!

Post by K4ICL »

Gee correct me if i'm wrong but as i recall the reason 11 meter's was chosen for the then new Citizen's band was due to neglect of use by Ham's......
Yes, we tend to do that when the band is dead because of low sun spot activity.

K4ICL
KU4MY

Re: Bingo!

Post by KU4MY »

K4ICL wrote:
Yes, we tend to do that when the band is dead because of low sun spot activity.

K4ICL
It is really nice to see that in our area there is a bit of local 10m activity and, on the rare occasion that 10m is open, it is nice to 'catch' others keeping it active elsewhere around the country. Activity I suppose, is our best line of defense at not losing more than what we have lost. Along the same lines, I am glad I find a bit of activity (steady activity) on the 5 60m channels. With it's odd restrictions like 50w PEP limit, the inability of many appliance operators to get there, specified channels rather than a frequency range and USB below 20m, I am sure it turns a lot of people off though (but not me).

It's all a simple case of use it or lose it. On the bright side though, as the clock struck 'February 23rd', I bet a dollar to a doughnut there will be a heck of a lot more activity on 10m for a while!
73 de Tom, KU4MY