Maybe a Scam Please read

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
emory

Maybe a Scam Please read

Post by emory »

This maybe a scam or it may be nothing at all.
M1MZB adertised here on QTH that she (Deborah Judkins) had a Heathkit 2040 For sale. I emailed her and said that I wud Buy it, for $125.00 +shipping
She in turn emailed me back and told me to send her $145.00 Via western union and the address was a Post Office Box number. I told her that I did not do my business that way that I wud send her a USPS Money order and I wud email her a copy of the MO receipt and the Certified Letter receipt and she cud ship the Tuner at the same time. well, In 1 Hour she emailed me bk and told me to forget abt it that she had received a Western Union from some one else Buying the Tuner. Maybe nothing to it.
Smell's kinda bad to me.
So take care.
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

Doesn't smell bad all to me.. You and her couldn't agree on a price and payment method.. I think you were a bit demanding when you requested that she ship the item before she received your payment. With all due respect, she moved on and so should you..

KM5FL
KC4GMY

Re: Maybe a Scam Please read

Post by KC4GMY »

emory wrote:I told her that I did not do my business that way that I wud send her a USPS Money order and I wud email her a copy of the MO receipt and the Certified Letter receipt and she cud ship the Tuner at the same time.
I think she might be hard pressed to cash a standard USPS Money Order. Futhermore, the United Kingdom is not even on the international Money Order list:
http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmoney/ ... onally.htm
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

KM5FL wrote:Doesn't smell bad all to me.. You and her couldn't agree on a price and payment method.. I think you were a bit demanding when you requested that she ship the item before she received your payment. With all due respect, she moved on and so should you..

KM5FL
NEVER ... NEVER ... send money for a radio by Western Union!
There is a reason all the scammers want it sent that way.
The odds of being taken by anyone wanting money sent that way is so great it is not worth taking the risk.
Ya did ood KM5FL and you most likely saved yorself a lot of greif.

William Lee N5WRX
K4ICL

More please...

Post by K4ICL »

Let's hear the rest of the story. What is the reason "all the scammers want it sent that way"?

K4ICL
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

n5wrx wrote:
KM5FL wrote:Doesn't smell bad all to me.. You and her couldn't agree on a price and payment method.. I think you were a bit demanding when you requested that she ship the item before she received your payment. With all due respect, she moved on and so should you..

KM5FL
The odds of being taken by anyone wanting money sent that way is so great it is not worth taking the risk.
Ya did ood KM5FL and you most likely saved yorself a lot of greif.

William Lee N5WRX

William:
Thanks for the well wishes, but I wasn't the one involved in the deal. That "honor" belongs to emory. I just posted an opinionated reply.

However, I too, would like to know why it's risky to send payment thru Western Union? Also,why do scammers want it sent that way??

KM5FL
k5jn

N1MZB and N1LPJ

Post by k5jn »

I think Emory made a mistake with the callsign that this post started with.
I believe the correct call should be N1MZB who still has the ad selling the Heathkit SA2040 tuner on qth plus other ads.
I had purchased a SB220 amp from them and it now appears that the amp has a problem and my money is being returned.
It appears that these folks are not scammers.
Ralph K5JN