My two cents worth

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N8PQB

My two cents worth

Post by N8PQB »

I just wanted to vent some personal frustration with the classified ads. This problem is apparent on every ham site, its not just the folks on QTH.

When I am shopping for a piece of gear, I avoid those guys making a living selling used gear. I am not going to mention names, we all know who they are. I try my best to only deal with private amateurs.

A short ways back someone made a comment about correct spelling in the postings, not only do I agree with him, but lets go one step further. I will stick my neck out here and make a general statement. If I am reading a ad that I have to figure out the words, and try to make sense of the sentence structure, I always seem hesitant to deal with that person. My rationale, ? If the guy can't even spell simple words, or put a sentence together, I'm not so sure he can take care of radio gear the way it should be. Many times it seems these guys are Extra Class, makes me wonder how they got that far.

Lastly, IMHO, if you have posted a item for sale, and must repost it 3, 5, 7 times, either there is something wrong with it, or its priced to high for the current market, come on fellow hams, read between the lines a bit.

Ok, all you guys that disagree with me can now take your shots at my opinions.
Keep it clean though, and remember, we are all allowed our opinions. Ain't America Wonderful!

Tom, N8PQB
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

AMEN!

If somebody's careless with their posts when they're selling their gear, you have to wonder how careful they were with that gear when they were using it.

Also, with the grammer, spelling and sentence structure in some posts, you have to wonder if the "poster" could read and follow instruction manuals.

TAKE SOME PRIDE IN YOUR POSTS!!! THEY'RE YOU!!!

Jerry

N9LCD
w0zs

Post by w0zs »

I think it is spelled grammar, not grammer. Couldn't resist! :wink:
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

The best one is "amatuer" or "amature".

Any ads with bad spelling I pass right by. One word spelled incorrectly could be a mistake, but when most of the ad is wrong, it just makes you shake your head. I remember seeing one ad on a board that had to be 6 lines long, with not a single comma or period! If you want people to read your ad....LEARN TO SPELL!
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

I agree with you totally on the spelling issue and as ve3tmt said anyone can overlook spelling on one word. But when a 7 line ad is run together with no capitals, commas, or periods and you have to try to decipher what they are trying to say just forget it. I pass right by.

And just as your post was your 2 cents here is my 2 cents on the part about the guys making a living selling used radios. I don't see any thing wrong with that. If you look through the posts here you will find a couple bad apples but you will also find several good ones too. Far more good ones than bad ones I'm sure. One problem I bet is many good transactions don't get posted here. Some do but it's mostly the bad ones that get posted. Kinda like the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

73, Tracy KB9VXQ
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

I have to say that I see nothing wrong with someone trying to make some extra money selling used radio's. If there are no bad reports on their sales of the equipment why not buy from them if they have what you want and you are willing to pay their price. There are some very good people out there that can take a radio and repair it, rebuild it and sell it at a fair price. To me thats almost the same as buying used equipment from a retail store like AES or HRO.
The thing I get a kick out of is when someone offers a mike with the radio! I'd rather want the mic that came with it.
......Wally, N9VAO
K4ICL

Why stop at spelling?

Post by K4ICL »

While at it, why not make other improvements?

We all have seen MANY ads that:
  • Don’t include a price
    Don’t include a picture
    Include a tiny out of focus picture of a commercial ad
    Don’t describe item's condition
    Declare they won’t ship the item
    Require a local sale only
    Have the item on eBay and only list the eBay item number
    Require offer to be made
    don't use caps or punctuation
    Are vague and jumbled
    Type out the ad in UPPER CASE
    Don't give a phone number
    Include a nonworking email address
    Threatens to put it on eBay
    Don't list a callsign
    Refuse to include an accurate statement of item condition
    Give a nonworking URL
    Tells readers not to ask stupid questions
    Are ads for garage sale junk that needs to go to the trash
    Have only partial model numbers and other identifying information
    etc.
You are right. Your posted ad REPRESENTS you. Why post anything less that the best effort?

Cheers,

K4ICL
k3ich

Post by k3ich »

i hav a duel band radio for sell thet comes with the manuel and an verticle antena.
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

du u hav tha mike dat come wit it. can i uz tha aireal on horizontul
n4jjp

Spelling and grammar

Post by n4jjp »

I could not agree more. Also, I cannot resist. It is "an ad" not "a ad". 73 Jeff :lol:
N5KBP

Post by N5KBP »

My favorite is "Pick up only" with no location given. :^(

Marty
N5KBP
N8PQB

2 cents worth

Post by N8PQB »

Whew..... (I know that's not a word) hi hi

When I logged in tonight and seen 10 comments, I thought, boy o boy, the guys really flamed me.

I had a :lol: (read that as Big Wide Grin) on my face as I read all the comments in support of "MY Two Cents Worth". I don't claim to be a english major, and I do make mistakes. But I try to proof read my ads before I post them. I am glad someone mentioned Ebay. I come apart at the seams when I read, "last chance guys, its going on Ebay next." Makes me want to email them and say, gee, thanks for the warning, more junk on Ebay!

73 to all who took the time to offer their "two cents worth".

N8PQB
W8VVE

Post by W8VVE »

Tom...and everyone...I agree pretty much with your post except for the last part...

"Lastly, IMHO, if you have posted a item for sale, and must repost it 3, 5, 7 times, either there is something wrong with it, or its priced to high for the current market, come on fellow hams, read between the lines a bit."

Your comment is probably right on a lot of items but I have experienced over the years some items not getting any interest at first but after re-listing or editing the listing it sells. I think a lot just simply has to do with finding the right prospect for the item listed.

Anyway....glad you put your comments online here and for the most part I will jump onboard with you. Sam, W8VVE Cross Lanes, WV
K7HC

GREAT - GREAT POSTS!

Post by K7HC »

My favorite was an ad selling a tower - with no location given! When I talked to the guy about it, he very indignatly said "my phone number was there and you could have googled that and found out where I am" - BTW - I spell-checked my post :-) Clay - K7HC
N8PQB

Amateur or ????

Post by N8PQB »

I wanted to expand a bit on ve3tmt, Max, from up in chilly Canada. Some years back I seen a reference to the problem of spelling Amateur correctly.

From our friends "Down Under", borrow a word, and the ease of spelling amateur can be remembered. A mate u r , or .... a mate you are. Whatever is easier for you to remember.

Thanks to Max for reminding me about the constant spelling error of amateur.

Tom, N8PQB