AD5TH Charlie Johnston, where is my equipment please??

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4AJF

AD5TH Charlie Johnston, where is my equipment please??

Post by W4AJF »

OK Folks, here we go again! I paid Charlie Johnston AD5TH from Union MS $1,050.00 with Paypal (in CASH) on Sunday August 6th for some equipment he was going to ship right out. Tuesday evening Aug 8th I had not heard from him so I decided to merely ask if he had an update. I also asked him for his phone number. He answered after a while and told me that he had a family emergency and did not have internet access for the past couple of days and he would ship tomorrow (Wednesday Aug 9th) for SURE and either e-mail or call me with the tracking number but he did not give me his phone number as requested. I did not hear back from him so I e-mailed him Wednesday night asking for the tracking number he had promised me and also for his phone number again. No answer so I e-mailed him again Thursday and then again Friday and still no answer so I was worried that my money may be taken. I had paid with Paypal so I opened up a dispute with them and that prompted him to answer. He responded to the Paypal dispute saying he had shipped it and I would receive the packages on Tuesday August 15th. He then said he had shipped it USPS Parcel Post which is bad considering in his ad he was asking $1,000.00 and made me pay him an EXTRA $50.00 for shipping UPS Ground with insurance. Here is an excerpt from his e-mail: "The "extra" $50 ($1000 to $1050) is to offset shipping and insurance. Since this is a great deal I felt I should be able to "clear a $1000" after all is said and done. I will ship it to you (once payment arives) via UPS ground with insurance. Thanks for your interest Adam". He then received my Paypal payment right after that. Anyway, Tuesday came and no packages. Then Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and still no packages. He has not responded back to Paypal or to me in several days and repeated e-mails to him for better shipping information or his phone number have gone unanswered. I am only trying to get what is owed to me, nothing more, nothing yes. We all need to understand that communication is the key to eliminate most problems like this. Had he responded in a timely manner and explained what was going on I would have listened. His response to Paypal was that I had "no patience or civility", he slammed me only because he promised to ship and e-mail me the tracking numbers and then did not follow through. had he done that I would have understood. I am not sure if he shipped it or if he did, not sure where it is but it is not here and according to our agreement, it should have been here MANY days ago. I don't like posting things like this. Charlie may be a very decent person, just a poor communicator and he needs to understand this is not personal. I just got ripped offf by someone else and with Charlie not answering on time or shipping the way we agreed and with no shipping info, what am I supposed to do? If the packages arrive you can be sure I will post that I have received them. Thanks everyone for listening.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com
Last edited by W4AJF on Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

I just want to see if I understand something here.
I am not implying that you are responsible for getting screwed here but......are you really saying that after being taken recently in a deal for radio gear that you actualy made ANOTHER deal without getting complete contact info from the seller?!?

It does seem there are many unscrupulous jerks out there itching to take our money and cheat us with bad and untrue descriptions of equipment, but I sure would not hand anyone I did not know over $1000.00 cash especially without any personal info on them and several solid references who would sort of "Co-Sign" for their credibility.

I have made people photograph their birth certificates and driver license with a dated newspaper to help me feel better about send money on just faith.
It is amazingly irresponsible to deal as you have if I understand this correctly and I would hope that you will either stop making deals like you have or try some drastic new measures to insure your security.

Most honest sellers will not mind going through a little extra work to help make you feel OK with the deal. I is called SELLING.
I certainly do not mind and try to make buyers feel comfortable and secure that they will get exactly what I describe.

Anyway I am truly sorry this seems to be happening to you again. I have recently been jerked over in a few deals too but not for anything this substantial.

Good Luck
Ed
W4AJF

AD5TH Charlie Johnston, where is my equipment??

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Ed, yes, I do blame myself for not getting his phone number. Usually I am very good about that. I buy a lot of equipment and to have 2 problems so close together is odd. He was good at answering e-mails until I paid him (aren't they all??) so all seemed fine. I am still hoping that he will make good on this deal so we will see what happens. I guess I need to take it up a notch when I am buying equipment to try to eliminate these problems. Sad, isn't it? Still also hoping that someone reading this has some more inormation about Charlie Johnston that will help me to contact him.

Adam Farber
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

ED,

Have you ever heard the expression: "DON'T KICK A MAN WHEN HE IS DOWN?"

Isn't it a little harsh to say that someone is "AMAZINGLY IRRESPONSIBLE" ... especially when you are referring to a ham like Adam, who has a truly excellent reputation?

I think that Construction Critic is always good. But in your feedback, I find much more that is "Critical" ... and much less that is "Constructive."

Just food for thought.

73 ... DAVID
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi David, thanks for chiming in. I think Ed meant well but it didn't come out exactly as he wanted it to but I take no offense. I just want to try to get what is owed me so if anyone has any info to help, by all means please e-mail or post here. Thanks again to all that read this.

Adam
adamf@eeco.com
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

Adam,

Murray ... K5MDM ... has a posting in which he is looking for this same guy!? You might want to check out his posting or go ahead and contact him.

73 ... David
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Thanks David, have already been in touch with Murray, seems he is in the same boat, we are both looking for help. Thanks, Adam
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

KC4CP wrote:ED,

Have you ever heard the expression: "DON'T KICK A MAN WHEN HE IS DOWN?"

Isn't it a little harsh to say that someone is "AMAZINGLY IRRESPONSIBLE" ... especially when you are referring to a ham like Adam, who has a truly excellent reputation?

I think that Construction Critic is always good. But in your feedback, I find much more that is "Critical" ... and much less that is "Constructive."

Just food for thought.

73 ... DAVID
David you beat me to the draw, My thoughts exactly.

Ed, Diplomacy goes a long way.
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

I was not beating anyone while they were down and do not have the need for diplomacy here.
I am not involved.
I was simply so stunned by the facts that were presented that I was trying to make sure that I had read them correctly.

I prefaced the comments with the sentiment that I was not being nasty but curious,I followed up with my support and I would be happy to do anything to help that I can and I would hope that at the least anyone reading this thread would examine the way that they do deals before going down the same path.

Again I am sorry for the problems and potential losses incurred and I do apologize for any pain my comments may have added to the mix.

I for one never deal with anyone before at least one telephone call and exchange of information and I have found that within a few minutes on the phone I can develop a fairly reliable sense about the person on the other end.

I have also used an Escrow service for those times where I was leary of the deal but still wanted help facilitating one. They can work.

It is more disturbing knowing that a pattern is emerging with this seller but maybe that can help to straighten him out too.

As I said Before
Good Luck
Ed
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Today I finally received the equipment Charlie Johnston AD5TH sent me. The packing was perhaps the worst and most uncaring packing I have seen. Aside from the radio, the shipment included a power supply and a speaker, both were just dumped in the box with NO wrapping of any kind around them, free to bounce around in the box and they did just that. The power supply is dented and the speaker is scratched. I am lucky the radio is working, it was in the original box and aside from him NOT sending me the mic, manual, and power cord he promised me, some of the packing material for the radio was missing so the radio was free to bounce around in it's original box. I winced when I opened up the box. I have e-mailed Charlie to see what he will do about this but I will be surprised if he responds. I would be VERY careful dealing with Charlie Johnston AD5TH. Also, he of course charged me for insurance but did not insure the package so I couldn't make a claim even if I wanted to (the packing was terrible, USPS would never pay in this case).

Thanks all for listening,

Adam Farber
KA9FOX
Site Admin

AD5TH

Post by KA9FOX »

I have blocked AD5TH from using the QTH.com Classifieds in the future.

- Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

Man this is just unbelievable that someone would take someone for $1000 and treat them like this. Then again it's getting more prevelant unfortunately. Adam I don't know you but sure sorry to here it happened to you.

Good job Scott blocking him. At least he can't advertise here any more.
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

SCOTT ... I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU BLOCKING THESE KIND OF PEOPLE FROM "QTH.COM." I KNOW THAT YOU GIVE GREAT CONSIDERATION TO THE FACTS BEFORE DOING SO. BUT AT LEAST THIS IS ONE PERSON THAT I WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HERE ON THIS WEB SITE. AGAIN, THANK YOU ... DAVID - KC4CP
AB9MQ

Purchase from AD5TH / Charlie

Post by AB9MQ »

I have receintly purchased linear amp from AD5TH / Charlie

In responce to Charlie's ad "AL-80B... 100% perfect condition... ", I sent money via PayPal on 8/8. He has delaied the shipment so long. It took UPS only 2 days to get here in near Chicago Illinois from Uniton MS whereas it took 15 days for Charlie to take the unit to UPS store..

As it was taking him so long, I was afraid he might have taken my money and run away. So I called Charlie. When I identified myself, he immidiately hung up the phone by saying "I don't know what you are talking about!"

This made me more worried so I opened a dispute case with PayPal for non-delivery. It was only after he received the notice from PayPal, Charlie sent me e-mail saying shipment was made.

When the unit arrived here, it was wrapped with 4 corner broken very thin card boad box. I could see inside from the torned out box. Inside was unit, but I saw no meter. Isn't this supposed to be 100 perfect according to his ad? Case was dented, bent and scratched. Grid/Plate current meter was pushed off inside. There was no supporing screws. Aditionally, there are no side screws to hold the case. 14 of them are missing. Meter face was scrutched. After I did continuity check and powered up. All of the sudden there was a big hum from electroritic capacitors. One of the light bulb was not working.

Charlie should have used the woring "As is" instead of 100% perfect.

This purchase was made because of the ad on QRZ.com. Now I see many similar incidents on this site QTH.com as well. I just want to share my own experience so that nobody else has to go through this.

I really apreciate this site administrator's integrity to keep this place safer for trade. Thank you Scott.

My prayers to the following individuals who suffered the same from Charlie.

Adam Farber (W4AJF)
Murray Neece (K5MDM)
Maximo Coltro (EA7FGJ))

Best regards to all the hams with integrity,

AB9MQ / Masa

:shock:
n0vz

AD5TH

Post by n0vz »

Charlie owes me the same AL-80B that he shipped to someone else. I sent payment and have not received any equipment.
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Oh boy, I think you should post the details here, like when you sent payment, what his answers have been (if any), so we can see exactly what happened in your case.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
n0vz

ad5th

Post by n0vz »

I sent payment August 10th and asked to have it shipped August 16th because I was out of town. When I followed up two weeks later he said he had been delayed in shipment due to lack of proper shipping box. I have sent several additional e-mails with no response. I have filed a dispute and a claim through paypal today.
KN4N

AD5TH

Post by KN4N »

Adam, I know how you feel...by the way, you bought somthing from me abt 7 years back.. I just bought an FT 100D on QTH.COM and sent a MO to an individual who said he received it 6 days ago, but has not shipped it yet (unable to furnish tracking #) so I am getting a little nervous. If I do not receive somthing next week, I will have to look into it further. He lives in San Diego, CA.
DE Bill