withdrawn

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KD1UJ

withdrawn

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pizwiz

Post by Pizwiz »

This is a tricky business, even if you weigh 250lbs and stand 6'4".
You are going to need at least one assistant if you plan to do it from a ladder.
Carrying the weight of the Jackhammer up the ladder and putting a load on it will definitely upset the ladder.
You have to have someone to steady the Ladder for you. I would feel much better if you could tie the ladder to something solid. !!
Have you considered renting a small scaffold? I know it's more money again, but I'd hate to see you get seriously hurt.

Adolph
The most UNcommon thing in the world is common sense. !
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Pizwiz

Post by Pizwiz »

If you decide to use the pole driver, a lot will depend on the exact spot you happen to choose. You could luck out and get a reasonably soft ( comparatively speaking ) spot and the driver would work fine. Hit a hard spot and you'll get a real workout.
I must have pounded in a few thousand fence posts with these things ( at least it seems that way) in Northern Nevada while working on a Ranch.
But however it goes, you'll be in terrific shape when you're done !
Just think, terrific ABS and Shoulders and no Bowflex or Gym in sight !!
:D :D :D

Adolph
The most UNcommon thing in the world is common sense. !
KD1UJ

Found an easier, cheaper way to do this!

Post by KD1UJ »

WA7OET

Post by WA7OET »

You want a rotor hammer, not a jack hammer. The ground rod driver will work but you still have to work up a sweat using it. You can usually get a few feet into the ground by using your hands... then get a 6 ft ladder and put the rotor hammer over the end of the rod and lean on the hammer and pull the trigger... it will take a few minutes but you will get it.
Be sure to place the rod out far enough from the house to avoid the footings...I live not too far from you so if you need any help let me know.

Will
WA7OET
ka5wzy

Post by ka5wzy »

Hey, If you could find a good iron water pipe, you might be better off.
Driving a rod through mostly rock is a pretty "POOR" ground. Rock has alot of silica which is a good insulator, you would need lots of soil around the rock for a good ground.
If the rock is that dense you may need to "DOPE" your ground, for better conductivity.
KA5WZY
Reed Hurley
KN4N

Ground rods

Post by KN4N »

I put in an average of 3 to 6 10 ft ground rods a week and most time never use a hammer. You push it in as far as you can, pull it out, fill hole with water, plunge it in more, remove, more water, just keep doing this and you will get it downd. I am in the lightning protection business and put these in all the time like this....if you can only get a ground rod in 4 feet or so, you can saw it off, move out 6 feet, put the rest in and tie the 2 in series and that will work. Sometimes we get into so much solid rock I have to burry a 12" X 24" solid copper plate for ground. An old car radiator burried also makes a gud ground.
Bill
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KN4N

ground rods

Post by KN4N »

Hey, I'am know as "over kill Bill" and you going abt it the right wayI wish I could get you some of the wire I use. It's 32 str of 17 ga copper but its $3.22 ft plus the shipping. I use it for the downleads to ground rods. You would also have to have the large glamp for it to rod....this will get into a bit of cost for you tho.
Gud luck with the project
ai4jd

ground rod

Post by ai4jd »

hello im a lineman by trade and have worked all over and what i have found to work really well is large hammer drill with a large enough chuck to slip over the the ground rod youll get a hammer action while the rod spins if its still giving you trouble trickle water down the ground rod while you use the hammer drill 73 mike ai4jd