Scammer - Barry Lawson - No Callsign

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
k4tor

Scammer - Barry Lawson - No Callsign

Post by k4tor »

Person with the "name" of Barry Lawson (no callsign, email: btully140@gmail.com) contacted me via email inquiring about the amplifier I have for sale on QTH Classified.

First email from this guy:

"i came about your post, i like to know if is still available, and what is the condition and your best price, can i have more picture if possible?what is your call sign? Await your respond. Barry"

Of course my call is in the ad, which he should have seen. He didn't give me his callsign, so I asked in the reply.

Second email:

"Sound good, i think am pleased wih your respond, however the pick up will be made in person or i pay you extra to help ship at the post office or fedx, Meanwhile My mode of payment is a cashier's check which will clear your Bank before we proceed, so I need your full name and a mailing address where the check will be sent to"

Still no callsign.

Responded and told him I needed his callsign, again.

3rd email:

"That's fine with me my call is KG9D. My mode of payment is a cashier's check, I will
arrange with a Pick up person to come for the pickup when it clears your
bank or i send extra funds for you to help me ship is via usps office, so I need your full name and a mailing address where the check
will be sent to"

Oh boy, that call does not belong to Mr. Barry.

I replied and told him to go fly a kite, and his email is hereby on "the list".

IP details:

IP Details For: 165.22.239.236

Decimal:2769743852

Hostname:165.22.239.236

ASN:14061

ISP:DigitalOcean LLC

Services:VPN Server

Assignment:Likely Static IP

State/Region:Ontario

City:Toronto

Latitude:43.6537 (43° 39′ 13.18″ N)

Longitude:-79.3829 (79° 22′ 58.54″ W)

73's
Tor
K4TOR
KI7LBE

Re: Scammer - Barry Lawson - No Callsign

Post by KI7LBE »

I got the exact same initial email from this "Barry Lawson - No Callsign" account. I am suspicious that this user is less than honest.
K4IDC

Post by K4IDC »

I received the same email today. I asked for his callsign & he replied "KG9D" This guy is a scammer, and not a very bright one at that.
k4tor

Post by k4tor »

K4IDC wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 pm I received the same email today. I asked for his callsign & he replied "KG9D" This guy is a scammer, and not a very bright one at that.
:-) Not too bright. Must not have been a scammer too long. He's off to a bad start.
gamble

Post by gamble »

He did the same to me today . . . weird!
He used the name Mike White . . . then he wrote me back with the name Bruce Climax.
Strange Duck
KI7LBE

Post by KI7LBE »

gamble wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 pm Bruce Climax.
:lol: