potential scam, opinions please?

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
ag2aa

potential scam, opinions please?

Post by ag2aa »

I posted a "wanted" ad for an alinco mobile. Had a response almost right away for the right radio at a good price. Here are my concerns: no callsign on response. qrz search for the seller, no email address on his profile to cross reference. difference between paypal name and seller name. email exchange with the seller copied below. Note spelling differences in his last name between email address and header. the possible callsign is kb9asu. Thoughts?

Re: Alinco DR-435 Mk2
Inbox

Robert.J Stegierwald
1:48 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

It's a legitimate sell

On Apr 15, 2024, at 1:33 AM, Robert.J Stegierwald <RobertSteigerwaldRadio@outlook.com> wrote:

I didn't remember sending you my callsign
So what exactly are you talking
Stop lying

On Apr 15, 2024, at 12:08 AM, Steve Piotrowski <ag2aa.radio@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi again Rob. I don't want to sound rude but

1) that radio looks kinda beat, not pristine. the mic cord is pretty screwed up and that frequency is WAY out of the ham bands.
2) your QRZ.com listing has no email listing so I can't verify your address and then your paypal is different yet again.
3) when i put your callsign in the QTH search, it says it was a stolen call and scam.

thats a good price for the radio and i'd love to buy it but need to be sure it's a legit sale.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2024 at 6:57 PM Robert.J Stegierwald <RobertSteigerwaldRadio@outlook.com> wrote:
Here is my PayPal address
Send through family and friends
Knaffj27@gmail.com
Thanks
<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>

On Apr 14, 2024, at 11:37 PM, Steve Piotrowski <ag2aa.radio@gmail.com> wrote:

That sounds great Rob. Can you send me a snapshot of the radio for "proof of life" and also your PayPal address? I appreciate your response.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2024, 18:28 Robert.J Stegierwald <RobertSteigerwaldRadio@outlook.com> wrote:
For sale
Alinco DR-435 MK3 70 cm 2 way ham radio. In pristine condition. Non smoker
I’m the first owner. Nothing wrong with the radio just not using it anymore.
$150 shipped
Have everything that came with the radio including the box.