N5WHT - Vollie

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k2dmg

N5WHT - Vollie

Post by k2dmg »

I was looking for a Kenwood TS-2000 and placed an ad on QTH. I was getting emails from scammers right and left, then I received an email from Vollie.

To be honest, I thought he was another scammer, especially when he requested a postal money order. I requested Vollie's phone number so I could speak with him on the phone. He had a deep southern accent so at least I knew he was in the USA. He also provided multiple references here on QTH.

Doing a little investigating, I found his QRZ email matched the email address he was emailing me from, his address was correct on the FCC Website and QRZ, and that was the address where Vollie requested the money order to be shipped. So everything was adding up not to be a scam.

I told Vollie I was going to take a chance and send him a Postal Money order Next Day Air. At the Post Office I sent pictures of the receipt, the money order and the next day envelope being mailed to him.

How about 2 hours later, I received an email back with the receipt of the TS-2000 being shipped to me via UPS. Vollie mailed the radio to me 24 hours prior to even receiving the money order.

I've been a ham for 25 years and this is only happened one other time. There are still decent ham's out there and Vollie is ABSOLUTELY one of them.

With all the scammers out there today using people's names and call signs you have to be extremely careful, but you have nothing to worry about if you are dealing with Vollie. Call him on the phone and if he has a deep southern accent, you know you're dealing with the right man and not a scammer from Nigeria.

Thanks Vollie! The radio arrived well packed and in perfect working condition. I will get years of use out of it cross banding from UHF to 10 Meters which is the reason I wanted a TS-2000.

Thanks Again,

Dan - K2DMG