Scammer impersonating Alan W4AMV x 2!

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
K9KJ

Scammer impersonating Alan W4AMV x 2!

Post by K9KJ »

As posted here also, I was also the recipient of an email from a scammer.

It was actually pretty good (with the exception of a couple of telltale grammar issues). The way I figured it out was, I looked at the email address on qrz and it did not correlate. So I emailed the address on qrz and the real Alan messaged me and said this was not him.
JeffK

Re: Scammer impersonating Alan W4AMV x 2!

Post by JeffK »

Make that x 3. I answered his emails and immediately became suspicious. He said he would send a cashiers check to cover the cost of the item. In addition, the check would include the amount of a fee to cover the cost of "his mover" to pick up the item. The "mover fee " was a good deal larger than the amount I asked for the item. Beware, he called me after midnight my time. I hung up immediately and blocked the number he called from. of note also, is that I checked on QRZ and located W4AMV's email there. When I used that email, The fake W4AMV did email back. FYI, I did some research and found that a fake cashier's check can be hard to spot, even for a bank employee. Is there a way to track down this guy?

Jeff Katchen WB2NWR