Up to three scam attempts in an hour

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
kf6xa

Up to three scam attempts in an hour

Post by kf6xa »

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, and if you're one of these gents and are legit, I just suggest you start with a message that doesn't sound like it comes from Nigeria.

I recently posted a WTB ad for an antenna. I got three responses in an hour. All sounded suspect.

markw5mcu@outlook.com says

" Came across your add on QTH and decided to ask if you still interested in purchasing the above item in the subject or you found one already."
scammers frequently have bots that don't actually mention the item, just refer to it indirectly.
Then he sent me pix from an online source, which I found in 5 seconds with Google Lens.

David.R. Campbell <d_campbell73@aol.com> sent me a photo from the SAME website as Markw5mcu did. He says he is K8BYP, whose callsign you can find on this board but not for scamming.

And third, Thomas Flynn <ae5nftom@gmail.com AE5NF is probably real, although he opened with
"Let me know if you still want to buy the above subject got in one looking to let go.", again not mentioning the actual item
After that he offered me a different but similar item, and I did not find the two photos he sent online. Still, be careful.

Also, possibly, W5EEX -- radiojohnw5eex@gmail.com -- he looked really legit and has photos not found on web, but disappeared when I asked his former business partner to confirm it's him.
kf6xa

Re: Up to three scam attempts in an hour

Post by kf6xa »

Add [b]kd6qfob@gmail.com[/b] to the impostor list, pretending to be KD6QFO. Actual Kevin's email address doesn't have the "b" in it.

Once again, a "too good to be true" price, and an initial contact that doesn't actually name the item. This attempt didn't arrive for a week, but was for the same item.