High Sierra screwdriver antenna 1500 and 1800 parts

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WQ6N

High Sierra screwdriver antenna 1500 and 1800 parts

Post by WQ6N »

These parts are really hard to find. SierraJane on eBay has a few parts available such as 12vdc geared motor, weathershields, contact springs and control box. I just converted my HS-1500 MK-II 9vdc motor to a 12vdc Blackhawk motor that will work with the TurboTuner2.
Hope you find the information of use. 73, JohnF
kl7jgs

Re: High Sierra screwdriver antenna 1500 and 1800 parts

Post by kl7jgs »

I just got one of the 1500's from and estate of a SK.
It is in good shape.
Does anyone have a copy of the instruction manual and what adapter was used for the base. All I see there is a brass plate with a large hole and a smaller hole further in.
Neil
WQ6N

Post by WQ6N »

The mount has a conical male end that fits into the base of the HS screwdriver antenna.
I have a HS-1500MKII .pdf if you cannot find one of the internet. Google is your friend. (2.3mb)
Note 1 - Use a light coat of conductive grease on both the male and female connections.
There are a lot of HS images on the web as well.

Hopefully you were able to get the up/down control switch with the antenna. The 1500 has resistors in it to drop it down to 9VDC.
NOTE 2 *** Don't hook it up to 12VDC or you will burn out the 9VDC motor!

Have fun with your project!
73, JohnF
KW4SZ

Post by KW4SZ »

Does anyone have a source for parts for the High Sierra antennas? I looked up the username in FeeBay but it is dead. I bought one at Huntsville last weekend, it is 90% complete. I will have to make a control box but looking to do much needed preventive maintenance that I am sure is needed. Looking for a new spring and the Lexan coil cover as well as other odds and ends. Would love to find a auto controller for an ICOM IC-7100 but can build a manual controller to experiment with. Any and all suggestions are welcome!
James Tate
KW4SZ
N2ZD

Post by N2ZD »

You can get the lexan on eBay. Just measure it and it’s about 22 bucks. The conical brass piece can be made on a lathe. I just bought brass stock to make a few out of.

Regards Richy N2ZD
KW4SZ

Post by KW4SZ »

Thanks I will look at Feebay for the Lexan tubes. I will look for it. I have 2 of the copper bases and am set on them. I disassembled it and it seems the spring is in great shape but want an extras. That is what I am mainly looking for.
KW4SZ

Post by KW4SZ »

Well it has been several months and with having to remount the antenna on to the copper mount. It has performed flawlessly. I have developed a problem with the Canted Axle Coil Spring. I have searched the web and found the correct name. Unfortunately the businesses I inquire want to purchase a quantity and require a business name to talk to me. Does any one have a source for the spring?