Advice disassembling Tower

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
Tinytim

Advice disassembling Tower

Post by Tinytim »

Could use some advice please. What is the best way to disassemble a 110 Foot Rohn 45G tower? Where and how do I start?
Thank you
N5WHT

Re: Advice disassembling Tower

Post by N5WHT »

There's a device called "The Yellow Jack", you can find it online.. It's made by KF7P. I have one and it was a breeze to use on my old rusty Rohn 25G.
I have no interest or will I profit from the selling of this device. If I find something that works for me, I like to pass on the information.
73'de N5WHT
N8ECH

Post by N8ECH »

TT:
X 2 on the tower tool. There is a blue one, in addition to the mentioned yellow model. If you end up doing such work on a regular basis, it is a must!
If you have not done tower work in the past, this project is not for a newbie. You will need ground help, equipment, ie Gin pole, ropes, etc, to be able to do this safely. Have you ever been 100+ feet in the air? You, or whomever is on the tower, needs to be comfortable with that.

A Rohn 45g section weight 70 pounds, which is quite a chunk to wrestle around at any height above ground. In addition to all of this, you MUST be able to assess the current condition of the tower in question. It may not be safe to climb, and removing guy wires along the way has to be done with the knowledge that doing so, won't place the climber nor ground crew in danger. In some cases, temporary guy ropes/wires may need to be installed, to allow the process to be completed safely.

This is by no means a complete rundown of everything you must consider, but it gives you an idea of the seriousness of such a project.

If not done correctly, the money you think you're saving, will mean nothing if someone is injured or killed.

Don
KP4HE

Post by KP4HE »

If you don't know how to, Hire a Professional with Bonding and Insurance. 110' tower dismount is a dangerous task. You won't know if it will dissemble it's sections. How firm are the bracing to step on. If it's an old tower even more. RUST is not your friend. Best to do and safer is with a crane and lift bucket. Use updated OSHA Fall Protection equipment and not more than 10yrs old. Most tall towers are not dissembled but chopped down.
W0AAT

Post by W0AAT »

If the price is right a crane is an option. Since the lift is around 1,000 pounds you don't need a super heavy duty crane.

Pick it at around 70 to 80 feet, use lifting straps that are long enough to create some slack so the tower can move on the way down. This video shows what happens when you jury rig the straps and use to short of straps... and what the ground crew SHOULD NOT do at the tower base. Use ropes to control the tower on the way down and stand well back from any fall zone.

https://youtu.be/YLQPxRQo17I?t=62