What am I doing wrong?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
K9XR

What am I doing wrong?

Post by K9XR »

In the last year or so I have bought and/or sold well over $20,000 worth of ham gear. I paid and/or shipped on time, most times not even holding the checks. Maybe I am stupid but I trust hams. The thing that I can't figure out is why I haven't received any feedback. I haven't sent any either, but with all these love posts I see from guys that have never posted before, I would think I would get lucky at least once. Maybe i should just try a little harder?

73 and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by KA9FOX »

Happy New Year, Al!

Typically, most reviews online are given when the user is unhappy. They take to the Internet to complain. It's always been a struggle to get users to give positive feedback. Not just here on our site, but all over the Internet.

I think that it's fairly common for hams to ask the other party to come to the Feedback Forum and leave a positive review, if they are happy with the product and service. I would not be bashful in shooting an email to some of your previous buyers, and ask if they'd do that for you. I know that this is common because I often get emails from people saying "I bought a piece of equipment from ___ and now he's asking me to leave positive feedback, can you help me get logged in" or similar. Many folks have difficulty grasping the concept of needing to sign up as a new user to post feedback, since the QTH Classifieds does not require any type of login. It is what it is. :-)

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

Hi Scott,

Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

I get that an unhappy buyer will be the first to post feedback. What I don't get is why feedback should be posted for someone who is just doing what they are supposed to be doing. I many times go over and beyond the expected. If I am familiar with somebody, I may even send their purchase before I get their check. I will print a label late at night so they can get their package before the weekend and other things like that.

I seldom receive feedback and I Never ask for it, where a lot of guys do. I know they do because I often see feedback left for a guy that I just shipped something to. I know I could ask the folks that I have sold things to leave me feedback, but I don't. To me, it would not be worth much if I had to ask for it. I would be embarrassed to ask for feedback on a small sale like I see from some guys all the time. Another thing that happens is when someone gets called out as bad actor on a bad sale and does nothing to remediate the situation. Then all of a sudden you see a bunch of good feedback for him as if that is supposed to make up for the bad. In the meantime, I will just do the best that i can.

73 Al, K9XR
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

What I don't get is why feedback should be posted for someone who is just doing what they are supposed to be doing
Potential buyers online are always going to be more comfortable initiating a transaction, if they are able to read positive reviews about a seller. It's no different than reading reviews about local restaurants before deciding on one to go to. All feedback is important, whether it's positive or negative.

You really shouldn't have to ASK for a review/feedback. And, honestly, just the fact that you have no NEGATIVE feedback here, is going to be comforting.

I'd not worry about this too much. :-)

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
w1klm

Post by w1klm »

Personally, I check out a seller before I make contact for a purchase. There's a search box at the top right of every page for just that purpose.
I appreciate very much the feedback (both positive and negative) left by other users.

Kev
W1KLM