WS1C - Bad Dealing

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
w0bkr

WS1C - Bad Dealing

Post by w0bkr »

Purchased a "fine" working FT-990 from this guy and upon receipt, found the radio is stuck in key down mode (nothing interconnected to radio but only the power cord). Very loud side tone (indicating someone was inside the radio and jacked with the setting as hard to hear a CW signal with the side tone so loud).

Engaging VOX or Semi Break In results in full key down (transmit mode). No way to send CW or un-key the radio.

Send it to qualified repair shop:
Problem reported: Constant CW key.
NOTE: High voltage entered key port and damaged various components on switch
"SW-A-unit" unit including CW CPU and protection components. CW CPU is no
longer available. Customer would need to locate a switch (modify radio) to add a "SW-A-unit" unit to
have keyer fully operational.
Work performed:
1. Performed CW internal keyer bypass mod. (Required 1 resistor and 1
capacitor).
2. Calibrated master reference.
3. Calibrated S-meter (50uV=S9).
4. Replaced defective memory battery.
5. RX tested OK, <.2uV @ 12dB SNR.
6. TX output tested OK, >100 Watts.
7. Antenna auto-tuner tested OK, >3:1 matching.
8. Front and rear CW ports tested OK, can use straight key or external iambic
keyer.

All told around 200 to ship it back and pay for disabling internal keyer. When approached, Seller stated "worked fine here, go read the book, etc."

No shipping damage but hard electronic failure internally and likely caused by improper interface of ancillary device.

Won't cover the repair, partially or other wise, just maintains it worked fine when he had it (but told me he did not have a key to use on the radio)??

Anyway, recommend avoiding this scammer. Other info in emails suggest more inconsistencies but too lengthy to put in this posting. Suffice it to say, I got sold a hamfest specail, not checked out, defective and damaged.
Last edited by w0bkr on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w0bkr

Re: WS1C - Bad Dealing

Post by w0bkr »

Shop provided a bit more clarity for me based upon my follow up message:

Not a switch, the complete switching unit board.

Complete board containing the CW keyer CPU IC and other components.
Multiple components have been found defective on this board.

You need a working "SW-A unit".

Not from shipping, was bad when boxed and shipped obviously.
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Guy is a scammer. Period. Avoid.
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Repair Shop confirmed damage to radio and appears he fried most stuff on the SW-A Unit, not from unpacking and powering the radio up....what a scammer.