Someone Using AA4SQ to Scam on QTH

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
w5jmc13

Someone Using AA4SQ to Scam on QTH

Post by w5jmc13 »

I received a response to my WTB add by someone using the email address Charlesaa4sq@gmail.com. Their IP came from Norway, (37.120.149.198), clue number 1. In the original form, they listed their name as Charles, and their callsign as AA4SQ. They offered a radio at a price significantly below the going rate, which is red flag number two. The biggest red flag - number 3 - was their insistence that I pay using Paypal "family and friends" rather than an invoice. This person claimed they were disabled, and that their son-in-law handled all of their on-line issues/finances. This person would not get on the phone with me, claiming they were paralyzed on the left side, but did text me from 984-983-7145. Interestingly, this is a North Carolina area code, which is where AA4SQ's address on QRZ is; this shows some sophistication. However, when i tried to call the number, it goes to a Google Voice number. The individual masquerading as AA4SQ sent me pictures of the rig I was to buy, but asked me to send payment to Sof.ial@hotmail.com. Be ware hams!