How stupid are some hams? How on Earth do they obtain their ticket?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
JimZim

How stupid are some hams? How on Earth do they obtain their ticket?

Post by JimZim »

I should have never made a purchase from Jim Pickett NT9J. I get blasted for have a having a decent station and ample power to run and repair high power solid state amplifiers. I have two Astron 70 Ampere supplies in parallel for this job. I do not use car batteries. But if I did would they be considered 300, 500 or even 700 Hundred Ampere rechargeable power supplies. I say this jokingly because this is the sort of mentality I am finding here in Indiana. Now before the post I made was locked, Jim Nt9J seems to have convinced his friend Mike WJ9E to register and take a jab at me.

HOW DO HAM RADIO OPERATORS SUCH A MIKEWJ9E EVEN CALL HIMSELF A HAM WITH THE FOLLOWING WORDING DIRECTED AT ME FROM THE OTHER POST. "Jim in Richmond you need to quit blasting people on websites you barely know Sir!!!!!! I like to know why you would hook #2 75 amp power supplies up to #1 2m amp that might do 200 watts when I coulda ran it on a 30-35 amp power supply you bloody Idiot!!!!!! you trashed a perfectly good Amp buy hooking it up that way and you call yourself a "HYAM" ????? WTH is wrong with you?? Maybe you should ask ur Elmer if you are smart enough to have one and ask him if you need a (150 amp power supply) to run a 175 watt 2m amp??? he probably hang up on you!!!! I seen that Amp do a 175 watts all day long on a power/swr meter on 2m and it worked just fine Sir!!!!"

What untruths. And this individual is a "HAM"??? I have seen others like him during my educational period and in the workplace. What is amazing is the fact how they come out to assist each other and spew this garbage. You will meet all kinds, anywhere.

I am a retired electrical engineer individual and enjoy the hobby of ham radio. I decided to walk away from the verbal battle and see that the topic I started is locked out. Good. Such dumb comment do not need to be stated here or anywhere else on the web but I do take the personal threatening remarks seriously from the two. So let's look at the amplifier I purchased from Jim on the inside. Jim Mentioned that the output transistors were replaced by a technician and indeed they appear to have been in the past. Having the output of less than half it rated power, I found the three trimpots for the transistor bias all to be open (100 Ohm), a missing adjustment capacitor (5-65pf) after the driver transistor, and an arcing 200pf metal capacitor most likely the cause of solder contamination during the repair. Lifting one leg of the feedback networks surrounding the transistors and other items like the swamping resistors I did a diode check and found the MRF450 driver and two MRF248 finals to pass this test. I will nurse this amplifier back to health and operate it knowing I did the best I could without putting more money into it. I feel it is a tired amp that may have see repeater operation.

SSSOOOOOO, what did I learn. Trust your first judgements. After you agree to purchase an item from someone, let it be a warning if they ask you more that once if you still intend to purchase the item because they have another person interested. I do not beg anyone to make a sale. That is total bullshit. Sum up the appearance and company the seller keeps and the threats they make. You have the upper hand, the knowledge and should understand that there are people looking for every little advantage they can grab no matter the circumstance or without consideration towards others.

There are many people out there behind the microphone who manage to survive on the good nature of others.
JimZim

Re: How stupid are some hams? How on Earth do they obtain their ticket?

Post by JimZim »

Please let me add this one little bit of information, Michael D. Elder of Rushville, IN WJ9E is an amateur extra an also a ARRL VE. I really appreciate his superiority of putting down other amateur operators and believe a call to the offices in Connecticut would be in order to discuss his actions and attitude in sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Who knows, perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut and offered him at their next exam session 50 bucks to get upgraded to a general. Yeah, right. No matter what he says, my distaste for individuals such as these two, NT9J and WJ9E won't be forgotten and each need to maintain their composure and forget the situation as I did before Mike felt the need to spout off in defense of his local buddy. Mike, WJ9ED, you certainly lack in the social graces and do not impress me as an observer.
NT9J

Post by NT9J »

I am offering you a 5 element 6 meter beam FREE that is worth 150.00 dollars if you want it and I sent you a message before and if you don't respond to this email I will never offer it to you again and if your a real christian you will you will answer and their is another side of that I will not say but you know you know what I mean, this is a good 6 meter beam all you have to do is take it apart and haul it away.

Jim NT9J

I have made this offer with good intentions and if your a real man then you will respond to it if not I will file a defamation of charactor Lawsuit against you..
JimZim

Post by JimZim »

Mr. Jim NT9J. I am a real man in your so called words. I lived up to my end of the bargain as I said I would and met you for the amplifier at the place and time that you designated. It was you that was so worried about if I still wanted the amplifier because I asked a question about the transistors. You needed cash and it appears that you were short in your account at your bank from another transaction and needed to replenish the funding taken out.

A far as being a “real Christian, genuine people embrace vulnerability. You can receive criticism without crumbling. Negative and positive feedback affect the way you think about something you have done, not the person you are. God will always give us other Christians to hold us accountable and help us. Occasionally, some of them can have sharp edges!

Genuine people share their true thoughts, beliefs and opinions with the world as I have. No explanation is needed. I’ve known a lot of Christians, myself included, that don’t have much trouble sharing our thoughts and opinions – but speaking the truth in can often be a struggle. Thank goodness genuine people can also embrace vulnerability!

I love the book of James, and this is one of my favorite verses: “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry” (James 1:19). To that I would add that to demonstrate God’s love is to listen to people and believe in them.
What would have been right would have been to apologize for your mistake in not fully checking out the amplifier and met for me to return the amplifier for the full amount of money I spent. I have shared the sight and operation with other fellow radio operators this amplifier and more or less they shook their heads in disbelief. What you are trying to make me out is to be the “bandit” and offer me more stuff that I do not need thinking you did right and I will go away.
NT9J

Post by NT9J »

Your Ignorant and don't have a clue what you're talking about, and you don't know what a real station is and if it hadn't for the NO CODE license you would have never gotten your license.