BEWARE SCAMMER using call WB9BXT

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
KR9Q

BEWARE SCAMMER using call WB9BXT

Post by KR9Q »

ALL,
I placed an ad looking for a Palstar balanced line tuner, below is the chain of emails i received from a scammer using a LEGIT call sign with no email address listed for verification. I found Roger's phone number and called him to verify and he had no idea what i was talking about. I also found the pictures of the same tuner in a 2017 for sale listing. He had went as far as to photo shop the original call sign shown in pics to the hi jacked one.

Hope this helps the legit hams trying to do honest trades and sales.
Jack
KR9Q

GO f**k YOURSELF!! People like you ought to be shot. Found the pictures you copied and photoshopped. f*****g a**!!

ROGER J HOFFMAN <wb9bxt@aol.com>
Mon 11/19/2018 11:38 AM
jacksradio@hotmail.com
I'm out of my home. The serial number is: 16031.
Thank you!
Callsign: WB9BXT
ROGER J HOFFMAN
2525 TREBEIN RD

Fairborn, OH 45324
On Monday, November 19, 2018 Jack <jacksradio@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Roger,
Can you send me a close up of the serial number? I want to call palstar and check on when this tuner was manufactured
Jack
KR9Q
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 9:57:39 AM
To: jacksradio@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner for sale

Hi Jack,

It's Barley used and in excellent condition, no single issues. PayPal email: mitma@usa.com

Thank you!
ROGER J HOFFMAN
2525 TREBEIN RD
Fairborn, OH 45324
-----Original Message-----
To: ROGER J HOFFMAN <wb9bxt@aol.com>
Sent: Mon, Nov 19, 2018 6:08 am
Subject: Re: Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner for sale

Hi Roger,
Yes I am still looking for a balanced line tuner. What is the history of yours? Any issues? What is your Paypal address?
Jack
KR9Q
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 3:57:34 AM
To: jacksradio@hotmail.com
Subject: Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner for sale

Hello,

Are you still searching for Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner ? I have for sale in 100% working condition that has not been around tobacco smoke. Price $300 shipment included. PayPal payment accepted.

Thank you!
ROGER J HOFFMAN
2525 TREBEIN RD
Fairborn, OH 45324
wa4wnc

Re: BEWARE SCAMMER using call WB9BXT

Post by wa4wnc »

Yet another victim falls prey. I posted ad for wanted Cushcraft R5 vertical and got a response from someone posing as WB9BXT. He responded with 7 pics and brief description of the history. I made payment via PayPal and when doing so my internal radar went off. Unfortunately I didn't want to believe my gut. I was lusting over an antenna and let my guard down. So I got taken for $100 US by a low life with PayPal and smartphone.
KR9Q

Re: BEWARE SCAMMER using call WB9BXT

Post by KR9Q »

Sorry that you lost money. I never sent any to the scammer. Got lucky and found the phone number for the real WB9BXT and called him first. After I introduced myself, the first words out of his mouth was "What am I selling now that I dont know about"... I advised him that he needs to put an email address on QRZ and I think he has done so since then.
Jack