listing abuse?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
kw3u

listing abuse?

Post by kw3u »

I enjoy checking out the listings for sale often as qth is far better than
eham or qrz in my opinion.
However it is very annoying to have to scroll through the multiple
listings everyday by the dealers/whatever they are who repost all of their
ads on an almost daily timing.
I feel it is unfair to the buyers and sellers to suffer their reposted ads every
day. they could buy an advertising banner or have one listing with a web address.
Just saying it shows a disrespect to the site and the users here.
tnx for letting me vent.
jim
kw3u
Jim kw3u
n3ab

Re: listing abuse?

Post by n3ab »

I totally agree. I rarely even bother checking QTH for sale items any longer as I too am tired of seeing a barrage of repeat ads from certain dealers. :evil:

If only there was a way to put them on an "ignore" list so they can be filtered out. Better yet, give them their own category.
WS1K

Post by WS1K »

I agree. It's obnoxious to say the least.
I was thinking of sending him 20 bucks just to stop for a while.
Jon WS1K
bobm

Post by bobm »

Based on an email exchange with the owner of this site, most of these abusers don't contribute either. There has to be a way to limit
these ads to a reasonable level. Maybe a maximum number of ads running at the same time. To make matters even worse, these guys
are listing mostly junk. Looks like they go visit flea markets, make a bulk purchase and go home and list them here. We need tighter
control.
W2BLC

Post by W2BLC »

The tailgating junk being listed day after day needs to stop. It destroys the usefulness of the entire for sale list.

I used to check the full list daily - now I check only until I get to the junk - then I quit.

Bill W2BLC
n3ab

Post by n3ab »

Is there any way to filter out ads by call letters? It would be nice to avoid reading the same ads that get posted every few days.

Also, is there a way to filter ads that don't have photos?

Any help would be appreciated!
NK7Z

Post by NK7Z »

That is the correct answer, just add an ignore filter, and then ignore those folks. A really novel idea might be to create an ignore filter, that asks why, then sets the ignore flag, and emails the person saying you have been ignored for this reason by a fellow Amateur Operator.
73's and thanks,
For equipment reviews and setups see:
http://www.nk7z.net
KM4BS

Post by KM4BS »

I came here to see if there was any way to filter ads by callsign to stop the hassle of going through these same ads every day. I guess the subject has already been posted. I am looking for certain things and don't enjoy wading through the same stuff every day. I am at the point now as was stated when I come to the every day ads I just go somewhere else. I am also learning which ones are the abusers and will not buy from them just for that reason. Maybe Scott needs to require payment up front before posting, that might slow them down. It would be a shame to have to resort to that since the site has always been a great one to list and buy but there will always be someone taking advantage of a free ride. 73
n3ab

Post by n3ab »

The problem seems to be getting worse. Same calls, no pictures, over and over and over. Lately, when I see the same call pop up when I start to browse, I just shut it down. No picture? I don't even bother.

I wish there was a fix, but right now, the only alternative is to go to other sites. A few guys are ruining it for everyone, especially if you are trying to sell something. In just a few hours, your ad is buried beneath the endless repeat posts.

I have been having much better success buying and selling on QRZ.com. They set limits on the "for sale" items.
Frere

Post by Frere »

I am new here, having renewed my General a couple of months ago after a long break. I like reading the qth.com adverts as a means of bringing myself up to speed on equipment.

But this listing abuse is a pain. To be direct: Searching for W8EK brings up 88 adverts! But far worse, he inserts line breaks and dashes in order to make his ads sit in white space and occupy major amounts of readers' screen space.

Why is this allowed? If I were running the board I would counsel him once on wasting readers' screen space with his tactics and would also suggest that he buy banner advertising since he is obviously running a business. This would be a one-strike-and-you're-out deal. After the couseling, if he continued to be the most obnoxious advertiser on the board, I would ban him.
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

I usually scan the listings every two or three days just to see what is selling for what.
I scroll till I see ads I have seen before.
The reason some are complaining about the speed in which they can scan the ads is because they buy and sell for profit.
If they see a radio ad asking for way less than it should normally sell for they buy it and relist it at a higher price.
Nothing wrong with that ... simple economics ... but you see them listing radios quite often so it dont take long to see who is buying and selling for profit rather than personal use.
Again ... nothing really wrong with that but I would rather buy from someone that actually used the radio for a while and can give you an accurate account of its condition.

Then there are the sellers that have no idea about the real value of their radio.
Selling used radios for a 100 dollars less than a new one costs means they dont know what its is really worth.
You think most people would pay $900 plus shipping for a used radio when they could buy a new one with a factory warranty for $1100?

And ... a radio that can not be fixed when it breaks is worth a HUGE amount less than one that the parts are still available for and are still supported by the manufacture. Its a buyer beware market but I would never buy a Ten Tec Orion for even $200. Once it breaks it is irreparable due to obsolete parts and very limited service.

Just my 2 cents.