Look at this email guys running game!

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
kd6tjc

Look at this email guys running game!

Post by kd6tjc »

I was sent this email on my ad first day Ok seems like its all good right no call sign Flag went up!

The so called buyer

Hello,
I'm inquiring about your item for sale. Kindly let me know if it's still
available for sale. If available do let me know how much you are offering to sell as i'm interested in buying. Thanks,
Edwin.

Me back to buyer

Hello Edwin

I have the Henry 2K-4 AMPLIFIER it is in really great condition everything
works as it should no mods have been done it is available at this point
still.
Im asking $1,250.00 for it with a set of 2 3-500z tubes installed I have
another set of new never opened matched set of backup 3-500z tubes if you
want the extra tubes asking $1,600.00.
I really dont want to take less but Im taking offers.
I get signals reports 20 over 9 with this amp easy like I said in the ad.
This amp tunes and loads fast on all bands 10-80.
If your interested and I can be of help please feel free to call me at
951-743-2220.

Thanks Steve

Today I get this I believe a scam in the mist?

The so called buyer

Hello,
Thank you very much for your response, yes i want extra tubes and will take if for the $1600. I have been waiting to read from you. While waiting your response, i have sealed discussions with a freight company that will be coming for the pick up of the items which i have readily bought there in the states with this item now inclusive.
My client will make out a check for $3,500 and send to you. You will have to assist in sending the balance of the money to the freight company on my behalf when the check clears your bank. The check will get to you by Friday this week latest as soon as i get your information and forward it to my client in the states to make out the check to you.
When it clears, you will have to deduct the money and extra $20 for packaging and make it ready for pick up.
If this is okay by you, do let me have the full name of the recipient of the check, mailing address and your phone number so that i can forward it to my client to make out the payment to you on time.
Sorry for putting you through this but i will really appreciate your efforts and understanding and i'm doing this to make payment fast and secure.
Thanks,

Edwin.

Me asking you guys

Can anyone help!
I would like information on who I get ahold of to set this guy up for a sting operation these guys gotta be stopped cold or they will get some else!
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Sell amp to non-ham?

Post by KA9FOX »

On every page of the Classifieds there is a link called Safe Trading Tips.

The first Tips says 1) don't deal with non-hams and 2) don't fall for the cashier's check scam.

Glad you didn't do #2, but what happened to #1? Were you really going to sell your amp to a non-ham? Shame on you if that is true.

- Scott
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
kd6tjc

I thought the guy just didnt enclose his call

Post by kd6tjc »

I would not of sold the amp to a non ham I noticed he didnt inclose his call I just sent back a email thought he mybe didnt enclose it entell he answered back the 2nd time then I new something was wrong.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Ok, that is good to know and sorry for the confusion. I see now by re-reading the e-mails that you weren't very close to an actual sale, just responding to his first query.

FYI, I am curious how he got your e-mail? We do not disclose e-mail addresses on the classifieds at QTH.com -- people must fill out a form to respond. If he used that form, then at the bottom of the form is the IP address of the responder. If I had that IP, I could block that IP from gaining access to the site. Maybe he followed the web site link in your e-mail and got it from there? Or did you get one of the response forms via QTH.com? If so, please forward it to me so I can take appropriate action.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
kd6tjc

The email address

Post by kd6tjc »

Hello Scott

I sent you his email address today but for everyone else that might run into this guy here you go.

edwin mayer <shollybully@yahoo.com>