FT-847 Code Key Issue

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
k0rfh

FT-847 Code Key Issue

Post by k0rfh »

Good day,

I have a stupid question. I have an issue with hooking up a straight key to my FT-847. i am totally missing the obvious. When I plug into the key jack into the back of the radio, it goes into xmit mode. Nothing I do can get it out. I have tried multiple plugs and wires. I currently have gone and bought a headphone cable from radio shack and cut the end off and wired it to my straight key. Same thing. I have looked in the menus, made sure the connections were good and no stray wire was coming off and arcing, even took the key off and plugged in without the key.. Same result.

Any words of wisdom appreciated as i am out of hair (pulled it all out). I am sure it is an obvious thing that I am just missing

thanks

K0rfh - RJ
KB3LMV

Re: FT-847 Code Key Issue

Post by KB3LMV »

Hi Kurt
Here's a thought Are you using a Mono plug in a Binaural ( stereo ) Jack?If the rig has a built in keyer for use with paddles,you may be shorting the ring contact to ground and keying TX.Try using both an unwired mono & a stereo plug insert stereo first then mono.If mono keys but stereo DOES Not,the barrel is shorting the ring contact to ground and keying TX,Connect tip & barrel for a straight key & all 3 for paddles.
73 & good hunting
Paul KB3LMV GRAYBEARD tech
US Navy ATN 3 W/O tech school
Paul KB3LMV
KB3LMV

Post by KB3LMV »

sorry Jim
I got your name wrong on my first post.After rereading your Plea for help you need to get a 1/4 " Stereo plug.With a 3 conductor cable you can use a single paddle key.Thumb for DAHs & index finger for Dits.If radio has no built in keyer connect ring & tip wirestogetheron straight key
73 glad to be of help
Paul KB3 LMV
Paul KB3LMV
KB3LMV

Post by KB3LMV »

Hello Again Jim;
As I suspected You are using the WRONG PLUG on your key and shorting ring contact on jack to ground & keying TX.FT 847 Op manual available from manualslib.com pg 5 connector pinout shows proper key plug connections and states use only 3 contact stereo pllug.
Radio does in fact have built in keyer suitable for Single or Iambic paddle key.
dah dah dit dit dit dit dit dit dah dah 73 & have fun
Paul KB3LMV
Paul KB3LMV
KB3LMV

Post by KB3LMV »

Hello jim
Did you happen to read my posts about your key issues? I've not seen any replies and am curious if your problem has been resolved.
Paul kb3lmv
Paul KB3LMV