Anyone know K6MW with a gmail.com account?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k5yy

Post by k5yy »

I am posting this as result of my answering an email from Michael S Wood who is K6MW who inquired about the condition of a Bird 43 2.5 kw element. I answered him but noted that it went to a gmail.com account and listed his name and call. With all the comments lately about spammers using a person's call and a gmail.com address I do not know if this was the TRUE K6NW who contacted me. When I checked 'properties' of the email, it showed the same michaelk6mw@srs.XXXX as originating the email. Then I tried emailing THAT address, and it was returned by my Hotmail.com email server as undeliverable. K6MW on QRZ.com does NOT list an email address. I would like to know if anyone knows him and could warn him that someone might be using his call attached to a gmail.com account.

I DO NOT have need to sell anything except the Bird element, and if you get an email from me, K5YY, concerning a sell of another item in answer to your"wanted ad", IT IS A FALSE Spam email and NOT from me. I am trying to protect K6MW and anyone else who might be contacted by a Spammer using my K5YY call. So, if you know K6MW, please let him know of my concern, as I have not received a reply from "him" at the gmail.com account and got funny feelings when the srs.perfora.net address came back undeliverable. STRANGE scenario.
If you get an email from K5YY, please ask enough questions that you KNOW it is me and not a scam artist, spammer person!
73 and thanks to QTH.com for the good work in getting to the bottom of scammers trying to commit fraud against QTH.com members.
San K5YY
Last edited by k5yy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
k5yy

Post by k5yy »

I just found this link from a Spam Email site on Google. Seems K6MW has been used in association with ANOTHER server address. I have contacted WD7R who is listed on QRZ.com and who K6MW lists as an alias from past years, hoping the current WD7R knows Michael S Wood the former WD7R. As of this morning I have had no replies from K6MW to my followup emails to him at gmail.com ... Anyone have a phone for K6MW? Below is link:

k6mw@jps.net
(Mike Wood's e-mail)
Name: Unknown
An unsolicited or spam email has been received from this address. Because this was a spam message, it is recommended not to trust the content of any emails that you are receiving from k6mw@jps.net

UPDATE: WD7R reply to me indicates Mr. Wood likely had the WD7R call many years ago, and it was an alias at one time. Answers that question.
Last edited by k5yy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k5yy

Re: Anyone know K6MW with an @gmail.com account?

Post by k5yy »

More bad info ..
I found a phone # for Mr. Wood at the QRZ.com address in Deer Creek, Washington . It is a 509 - 276 XXXX and when called it says # no longer in service. It appears perhaps Mr. Wood is not likely the person who contacted me and instead, the K6MW call has be spoofed and he does not even use ham radio much anymore. So. BEWARE someone contacting you with something to sell or wanting to buy who says they are K6MW with any email address attached. And for sure I, K5YY, will not be contacting anyone to buy anything or sell anything to them personally.
As our QTH.com members and the staff say, please check things out if any suspicions at all. I wish someone knew how to trace the IP address of the person at the gmail.com address I have mentioned and contact gmail.com about the likely spam attempts. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by k5yy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k5yy

Re: Anyone know K6MW with a gmail.com account?

Post by k5yy »

Based on reading about spam emails on another website, there were 4 other posts from other hams concerning the K6MW emails to hams requesting them to pull up a spam link to steal passwords. Fortunately the spammer did NOT return an email to me asking for me to click the link. So, my suspicions were correct, the @gmail.com email from Michael Wood, K6NW, was NOT from him. I am glad we members of QTH.com report things like this on Feedback Forum. Beware of things that look suspicious, as I did.