K6KHU Any dealings?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W0XXX

K6KHU Any dealings?

Post by W0XXX »

He has 6 adds posted....has anyone had any dealings with him?

Thanks in advance.
chazz74

Re: K6KHU Any dealings?

Post by chazz74 »

Unfortunately yes! Just filed fraud complaint with PayPal this morning. I was the 4th call to the UPS Store regarding the same item.
Unknown if K6KHU is really involved or not. Payment went to GNT Solutions of Sacramento, CA on May 23rd (same day ad was posted)
Carol at the UPS Store in Lompoc, CA assured me that no one ever dropped off a shipment there, nor does UPS have a shipment under that
tracking number ( 1z0246W50390320880 ). That is the same info given to at least 3 other buyers in Tucson, Florida and Denver, according to her.
The QRZ.COM listing for Lester P Gideon is fairly new and he's only a TECH!! Why would he have Alpha's and AL80A's etc...
His Lompoc address is a house, but according to him he's in a retirement home!
This whole thing reeks of a well planned and executed SCAM. Thank God we're protected by PayPal.
73, Charlie
KG5EN
kv2aa

Post by kv2aa »

Yep this is a slick scam, got me too for the alpha.i wonder how many more? spoke to ups,,carol and paypal. seems like it can be extended by him simply changing the tracking info then pay pal adds 10 more days.
I suggest to anyone involved keep in touch w paypal ..
kc4ylv

Post by kc4ylv »

I'm just like, what's he trying to pull?
Honestly its a terrible scam; pp has protections against this.

LOL

I'm denver dude. GOt me for the "$600" "746 Pro". I was greedy, it was too good to be true.

I wanted to play nice and give him the benefit of the doubt and then saw where he was badmouthing me to another one of you guys behind my back.

I don't know what he thinks he can pull off, he's spent my money on UPS charges but i'm getting e v e r y p e n n y b a c k.

We should send Carol some flowers. I have a feeling she's sick of hearing about this.

Paypal advised me that he can change the shipping address 1,000 times and they don't give a rip; if it's not at least in transit and preferably on our doorsteps after 10 days after the dispute is filed, you get your money back. I've got a lawyer and no problem getting him on the line with Paypal :)

honestly the dude doesn't have a chance. Work the paypal system; they want to keep buyers happy.
KS9Q

Post by KS9Q »

Yep -

FT-2900 listing. Friendly communication... I agreed to purchase, seller promised to ship... 5 days and nothing. It has been my experience that conscientious sellers either ship within a day or two or they proactively communicate with the buyer if there is a reasonable delay. Had I not seen other indications of people having problems I would have given it a couple more days and at least a couple of emails but PP didn't even pass my communication to the seller in the resolution center - looks like they are already looking into this.

This is why you use the "I'm paying for goods or services" option in PayPal - that little surcharge is covering issues like this.

Jim K - KS9Q
Joew3gms

Post by Joew3gms »

He scammed me over an Icom 6M multi-mode rig that I sent him the money for. Filed a dispute with PayPal and now awaiting for the resolution process to do its thing.

Joe-W3GMS
kc4ylv

Post by kc4ylv »

KS9Q has a VERY GOOD POINT.

If a seller ever asks you to mark it as a Gift, REFUSE! They'll claim the charges are higher, which is true, but if you have a problem later on, YOU CANNOT DISPUTE IT.
ac0ml

Post by ac0ml »

Well add me to the sucker list. I "bought" the AL-80A for 500.00+ 50.00 shipping. Same exact M.O. "Les" stated first that package was dropped off at UPS Store, Then let me know that address was "smudged" so correction had to be made, and now POOF! he's gone...
The sad part is that I even looked him up here and at the time of my purchase there was no feedback on him. I hope Paypal refunds my money but I'm not holding my breath. First time I've been scammed on QTH or any other site.
chazz74

Post by chazz74 »

Just got my full refund from PayPal this morning! Three days after filing complaint, 19 days after paying scumbag Les $550 for a non-existent AL-80A.
I've always liked the speed and security associated with using PayPal. Now, I LOVE them!!
73 and safe trading to all
Charlie
KG5EN
W0AD

Post by W0AD »

First time I've been suckered in 45 years of hamming. $500 PayPal on May 29th for Alpha 78, 28 deep email trail before I finally called GNT Solutions and they said they had a similar eBay complaint last week in Denver so I filed my PayPal complaint yesterday. Talked to Scott and he told me I did all the right things: looked up K6KHU on the FCC database, had a half hour conversation with him on the phone before I bit.

Red flags I glossed over because I also felt I was getting a "good deal." K6KHU is 84, the guy I talked to on the phone sounded younger. His detail on the ad saying there was "some guy N4UQ who I've been told can modify this," (too much knowledge...why wouldn't he modify it himself?) His pride got in the way of his scam on the phone when he went into the weeds about my CATV background.... An 84 year old guy who understands QAM constellations....really? And when I asked about how surprised I was that he understood the technology, he said he "just liked studying up on this stuff." An abrupt answer to "why are you selling?" "I'm getting out of the hobby, period." And then, the sudden switch from phone to email which stopped completely when I became suspicious. A guy with this type of personality disorder is also probably reading these posts because the excitement of hurting others overwhelms his better nature. Sorry for you Les, or whoever you are!
kv2aa

Post by kv2aa »

Had a similar conversation as well re alpha 78 checking filter caps etc. Even got pics n sn..But here's the thing I found there are 2 Lester p Gideon's one is 84 and the other is 56 in the same location in ca. In my e mails he is referring to his son who I's his tech support, humm. Gnt solutions a computer it security co. But k6khu.I.g@gmail.com sent to gnt puzzles me.
He insisted on pay pal not usps mo.,seem like trying to beat pay pal..??
WU7Q

Post by WU7Q »

Yep, I too appear to have been scammed by this person regarding the Alpha 78. Beware....
kc4ylv

Post by kc4ylv »

Paypal refunded today. Call em and bug em, you might get your cash back early.

Case closed.
kc4ylv

Post by kc4ylv »

Update:

I managed to get ahold of one of Les Gideon's sons (a nationally accredited doctor and professional). Les Gideon is still with us, but has lived in Poland for years and has not been active in radio since the 1970's.
ac0ml

Post by ac0ml »

Just got my refund from PayPal. I took advice and called PP and asked for status of claim- within 5 minutes of calling they resolved complaint in my favor. $550.00 for bogus AL-80A. Squeaky wheel gets the oil! I thought I was screwed, but PP came through. Thank God I used them, took advice posted here. I sure hope they get this clown!! Now I need to find a real ham with a real amp. :)