N6EQS, Shyster

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k9ike

N6EQS, Shyster

Post by k9ike »

Bought a Yaesu ft 897 from N6EQS on 12/28/14. UPS delivered what seemed to be an empty box.
Label stated that the contents were 21 lbs total weight. I contacted UPS immediately, they returned
one hour later and retrieved the package. I have no idea what was inside but it surely didn't weigh 21 lbs
and I didn't open it to find out. Tried to contact Gerald Oakley by phone and email but no reply.
He has several other posts on QTH so beware.
ufcw1473
kc0gnn

Re: N6EQS, Shyster

Post by kc0gnn »

I bought radio as well and radio not received. He sent tracking # 12-30-2014 but package has not been received by UPS. Posted on here today and 7 other hams have contacted me that have had the same problem. If you paid with paypal call and file a claim. I hope everyone gets there money back. It's a shame that this has happened. Please don't let this happen to any more hams.
THANKS 73'S BILL KC0GNN
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

FYI
I googled his name/town and he comes up as SK in 2007. His Bio on QRZ was updated just prior to the postings on QTH. Likely, a scammer is assuming his identity. I would recommend contacting the local law enforcement to check into it also.
WA4ZYN

Post by WA4ZYN »

I am embarrassed to admit that I also was taken in by this scammer. I paid $180 via PayPal to Gerald Oakley N6EQS on 12/25/2014 for a Swan 350 transceiver (shipping included). I thought I had verified him pretty well: checked qrz.com, checked his ip address, phone number, etc. I even googled the callsign to check for complaints. I missed that one detail of his being SK. I had very pleasant and chatty emails back and forth with him for days, even after I was notified of shipping tracking #. What UPS delivered, however, on 1/6/2015 was a totally-empty box. And, no, the "merchandise" didn't disappear in transit. There is no way allowed by physics that a Swan 350 transceiver with its accompanying powersupply/speaker would fit in an 12 x 12 x 11 inch box!!! I don't know how UPS operates, but it also seems that they would question a box labeled "21 lb" that only weighs ounces.

I have tried for the past two days to contact this person calling himself Gerald Oakley, N6EQS. I have written numerous emails and left phone messages--all unanswered. I found out today that other hams have been scammed by this same person. Some have received nothing; others have received empty boxes (one had even paid for the same Swan 350 that I thought I had bought!).

I have opened a dispute with PayPal and my credit card company. I do not know what else I can do except make sure others know about this scam.

Good luck to all who have been scammed.

Francis WA4ZYN
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Need to contact KA9FOX to ban the call and postings.
ki4wvz

Post by ki4wvz »

yea looks like we all were conned by this idiot
bought a KW 2000 and was sent a tracking number for a package that ups never received for processing
live and learn
QTH isnt my place anymore ... what a shame

put a dispute thru paypal also
good luck all
steve ki4wvz