Replacement t/r relay for ICOM IC-2KL ??

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
turnerme

Replacement t/r relay for ICOM IC-2KL ??

Post by turnerme »

Anyone know of a suitable replacement for the transmit/receive relay in the Icom 2kl amplifier.
Mine "sticks" in transmit mode, so I can't receive anything, until it switches back to receive mode.
Icom service doesn't work on these units anymore, and, doesn't have any parts!
Dan KH6AFJ Big Island Hawaii
k9yli

Re: Replacement t/r relay for ICOM IC-2KL ??

Post by k9yli »

just fix it.. common cause of "sticking relays"' is residule magnetism..

on the yoke around the coil and at the point the armature hits the yoke there should be a thin aluminum strip
that is the 'residule'( nameits called) they wear out or got to thin.. a quic fix is runa strip of scotch tape
thru there to break the magnetic field.
also check for clearance between the armature and the center core when holding the armature
against the yoke also clean the core stem as they sometimes get contaminated and
the armature physically sticks to the core or magnetic material closes the gap so the
armature stays picked because of residual magnetism at that point.
and obviously inspect the armature pivot for contamination.

another trick is to reverse the wires to the coil. which reverses the induced magnetism opposite
to the old and now residual magnetic field.
BUT BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
some relays may have the anti kick-back diode right on the coil.. which if you reverse the wires will
put the diode in the conducting direction right accross the driver,,,,,,,,,,,,, bad news.
swap the wires after the diode .........

ask me how i know this.. $200 board in a pos apple printer. feed clutch would stick and feed an extra half sheet, which jammed on the next feed cycle.diode was hidden on the coil, under the outter tape.
turnerme

Post by turnerme »

well, it isn't an open relay. It stands on it's side, appears sealed. Sent to Icom, and they no longer repair this board. Thanks for the advice.
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

so it has a cover on it.. pop the cover off. usually a knife or small screwdriver will unhook the
edges..
post the exact make and type. voltage of coil etc. i have a number of relaYS I CAN LOOK AT THEM AND
determine the best way to get inside.
laptop and shift lock......