New To Selling Need Advice!

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
kb6rdi

New To Selling Need Advice!

Post by kb6rdi »

Hello everyone. I am new to selling and I have read the guides, so thank you to everyone that took the time to put them together. However, should I only be dealing with paypal? Years ago I sold a few items, and I got a check and a couple money orders and never had a problem. Perhaps times have changed? I also wanted to perhaps put a wanted ad up for a couple of things but it looks like that is a sure way to get bogus replies. Any insight would be helpful. I am looking to get into UHF and higher weak signal work and sell off most of my HF/VHF equipment to get the funds to do so, so I will be "cleaning shack". But before I do perhaps it would be better to just put the gear on consignment somewhere or try my luck at a hamfest in person.
N9LCD

Re: New To Selling Need Advice!

Post by N9LCD »

It's six of one and a half-dozen of the other.

Hamfests have an advantage in that you get your cash right there, on the spot. No waiting for payment. No packing and shipping. No claims of misrepresentation. And your buyer can't bellyache -- at least to you.

Drawbacks: Fests are weather dependent. It was nice and sunny in Chicago, I packed up and drove about 65 miles to the fest. It was a "rain out"!! Hams can run out of cash at a fest. Today's cars have limited trunk space for hauling gear. Your exposure at a fest is limited to t hams it draws. Cost of gas to get to and from a fest.

Online sales offer a broader and longer exposure, especially for "specialized" gear. No waking-up at 04:00. No sitting for hours either freezing or frying.

Drawbacks: Collecting your money: USPS money orders are a good answer. Packing and shipping: Wait until you meet the ham who thinks he can pack better than an industrial packing service. Cheapskates who have no idea of what proper packing and shipping costs. Hams that will bellyache about something not in your pictures. Shipping damage: Wait until you have to do a claim for shipping damage.

Suggestions: Advertise online with "cash only" on ""pickup". If you price it right and give them a good deal, they'll come and get it.

N9LCD
kb6rdi

Post by kb6rdi »

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

If it wasn't for all the guys that this guy has screwed this would be funny. He is a real gem!