Deceptive selling ham W4UDX

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
rwgisQTH

Deceptive selling ham W4UDX

Post by rwgisQTH »

So the item was a Yaesu FT817ND. From the start I sensed something wrong about this guy/seller.
I paid in full on a Friday - heard nothing for 5 days. Then when I simply asked if the item had
been shipped the guy went balistic. Yipes! Then the problems came when the radio arrived:
1. The power supply/charger is not included with this radio – the charger was included with the original
sale of the radio – but the ham selling to me did not tell me he was keeping it!
2. There are only 2 sections of the antenna short one missing – bad seller will not respond.
3. There are also some minor scratches & dings on sides/bottom.
Through all this W4UDX kept insulting me and acting like I deserved to be stiffed. FInal email exchange
was when I said I though best he refund my money and I would pay return shipping. Oh gosh - a 3 page
long email saying he was reporting everything to PayPal,...that I was an idiot, etc etc. Reporting to
PayPal?? Wait a minute - I am the one out $485.00 here.
Anyway - make a note and avoid this guy - definitely not part of the 99% of great hams. This is the
first QTH rip-off ever for me, and frankly the first ham rip-off. Very depressed. :cry:

Ralph
N0JIW
W4UDX

Re: Deceptive selling ham W4UDX

Post by W4UDX »

As they say, two sides to every story. The biggest problem here is the buyer deceived himself by not paying attention to the items listed in the original ad. He assumed (as he even admitted in one of his numerous gripe emails) that the radio was going to be just like a new one with all the original stuff that was in the box when it was new. I bought it used, and the stuff he claims I "kept", I never had to begin with. First let me show the original ad that he replied to:

Callsign: W4UDX
Category: RADIOHF
Heading: FT-817ND QRP WITH EXTRAS- LOWER PRICE
Ad Message:
For Sale an excellent Yaesu FT-817ND QRP HF/VHF/UHF all mode transceiver in the box
with the original hand mic, DC cord, rubber antenna and carry strap. Also included
is the Peg-Legs (tilt stand), USB data control cable and software,
cigarette lighter power cord and new NiMH batteries in the battery holder. Works great!
$495 plus shipping, payment by PayPal only (no checks or money orders).
Text messages OK. I am a long-time QRP'er and am now using an FT-100D for QRP and QRO,
so I am moving the 817ND on. Thanks! W4UDX

It says right in the ad "cigarette lighter power cord" not "AC charger". What Yaesu includes when it is new and what I listed don't have to match. He assumed too much. And you know what they say about assume... how do you spell it? I never said the radio was "mint" or "like new". It was an excellent condition radio and even he described it as that when he re-listed it on QTH.com HF RADIO swap ads. I did send the original rubber antenna, it may have been missing the small tip, I don't know, I didn't use it as I am not a VHF/UHF person. From what I read that antenna is a piece of crap and useless anyway, so that does not warrant a refund. The rubber antenna I sent is original, and it's all I ever had. I never mentioned a manual in the ad because I don't have one, but again he assumed he was getting a new radio with all the original accessories. But that is no excuse for his bully behavior and name calling he has done about me. That's just uncivilized. He should have bought one from HRO.

Also my original ad had a price of $495 plus shipping. I let him talk me down on my price to $485 shipped ($465 for the all the stuff in the ad, and $20 for shipping with insurance) because he gave me a story about being low/fixed income. I really didn't want to sell it that cheap.
Let's see if he can duplicate that deal again with all the stuff I sold him. Bet he can't do it.
Guess the old adage is true, "No good deed goes unpunished".

It's a shame that low-baller bottom feeders who want something for nothing have made it so bad on here that a person has to make an ad that states all the stuff they are NOT sending....

BTW: he also claimed that it wreaked of cigarette smoke (which is untrue), which he also conveniently failed to mention in his ad when he re-listed it in the HF RADIO swap ads....
Judge for yourselves.... If I get kicked off QTH, Oh well... there are other places to buy/sell. God and I both know I did nothing wrong...... This is a used as-is no warranty place to sell just like a hamfest. I've done a ton of buying and selling over the years here and on eBay and other places, and this is the first time I have been smeared by someone because I didn't send something that I did not list... weird.
K5UO

Post by K5UO »

With Paypal and Ebay the buyer is in the drivers seat 100%. If there is anything right or wrong with your purchase: Refund guaranteed.
Now....between PayPal and a non-eBay transaction; I do not know?

Mike, K5UO
Michael H Bragassa
W4UDX

Post by W4UDX »

This N0JIW is turning out to be a real piece of work. Not only is he lying about the transaction, he is lying to PayPal about my emails... falsely claiming that I was calling him an "idiot" (which I never did), and claiming that I was using "foul language" in my emails to him (which I never did - I still have his an my emails and can PROVE it), and states that I deliberately "kept" the stuff he didn't get (which I never listed in the ad to begin with), stuff I never had to begin with....

His emails to PayPal sound like politician's attack ads... maybe he should run for Congress.

ALL OF THIS COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF PEOPLE WOULD ACTUALLY READ THE AD AND EXPECT ONLY WHAT'S LISTED IN THE AD.
W4UDX

Post by W4UDX »

To: K5UO
Actually, that is not true. A dispute from either party can be escalated to a claim, in which both parties are expected to present their evidence. Then the claim is reviewed and a decision is made by PayPal in favor of one party or the other based on the evidence presented, much like in a court case. If the buyer always wins, nobody would use PayPal because people like "No Jiw" would be taking advantage of an unfair lopsided system and ripping people off right and left.

BTW: why did you post to this thread? Didn't you read the forum rules?