POLL: What causes a deal to die before it is started?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.

Which one of the following is MOST LIKELY to cause you to not consider doing business with the poster of the ad? (The first five choices are in random order.) PLEASE CAST A VOTE!

Lack of an asking price.
13%
Lack of clear statement of condition.
5%
No callsign given for the ad.
21%
User has negative feed back on the Feedback Forum.
46%
Poor Spelling and/or Grammar.
No votes
Other Reason (Leave message describing)
15%

Total votes: 39

K4ICL

POLL: What causes a deal to die before it is started?

Post by K4ICL »

A quickie poll relating to posting ads.

All you need to do to vote is to register and become a member of this board. It is free!

AL
Last edited by K4ICL on Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W0LPQ

Reasons

Post by W0LPQ »

Al, wow, why can't we make more than one choice..

Starting top to bottom.....each is a good reason to be wary..

Bill, W0LPQ
W9SIX

Post by W9SIX »

Well, I voted for "Lack of clear statement of condition." since, in the last 24hrs, I emailed two seperate posters about more details on the items they were selling and neither one stated the age, condition or state of functionality.
I guess I'm still looking for the two items, since I most likely won't be buying from those two guys.
joeanderson

Post by joeanderson »

Time between first contact and 2. If they are really interested, they should and will reply within hours, not a day or 2. Email is made to answer in a timely manner. Waiting a day or 2 is not timely. Thats only my opinion. Thanks
N5KBP

Post by N5KBP »

Good poll but I would have worded it a little differently. How about a ranking instead of only one choice. IE
#1 User has negative feed back on the Feedback Forum. (obviously)
#2 Lack of an asking price. (Or worse asking a rediculous(sp) price)
#3 No QTH when it is a large item. (If your too lazy as a seller to put it in then I've got to assume you are not that interested in selling it)
$4 No callsign given for the ad. (Sorry but to many horror stories)
#5 Lack of clear statement of condition. (We can cover that in emails if I'm interested)

Poor Spelling and/or Grammar. (Not an issue. Heck look at mine)
k5yy

Re: POLL: What causes a deal to die before it is started?

Post by k5yy »

[quote="K4ICL"]A quickie poll relating to posting ads.

All you need to do to vote is to register and become a member of this board. It is free!

AL[/quote] :shock: All choices have merit but "other" seems to cover the ones left off that add up to highest #@ of reasons why I shy off. San K5YY
KR8K

dying deals

Post by KR8K »

How about "no photographs"? If you can email a photo, why can't you include it in the ad? I can't remember every rig detail on every rig that's out there. Why not throw in the photo? While you're at it, why not read the ad over before you submit it or have someone else read it to see if it makes sense.

Eric
KR8K
Eric
KR8K
W4FJF

K4ICL POLL

Post by W4FJF »

What W0LPQ said hits it right on the money. When ANY of the stated conditions aren't met, its a red flag against dealing with a posted ad. You got to have a ham call, a good description of the rig, a price, and a good rep on past deals. Otherwise you are risking your money on an unknown person who maybe has a rig that went through a train wreck or sat in a barn with chicken guano all over it. Buyer Beware is the rule, not the exception these days, this is unfortunate, but very true.
FRED/W4FJF - EMAIL: ffuhrer@elmore.rr.com
Be careful: The toes you stomp on today may be attached to the butt you may have to kiss tomorrow!
ka1cqr

All of the above

Post by ka1cqr »

Any of these would make me continue on looking. It's a shame, we almost need to be detectives, searching for clues as to what a honest deal is, versus, some idiot trying to con me out of my "ham" money!

73 de ka1cqr, Chuck
w2ass

k4icl poll

Post by w2ass »

I liked the poll the way it was, If you had to choose one, which one would it be?

I picked feedback, for simple reason, If the guy had all the info price, picture, great emails all info ,, Would you still deal with him?

I wont deal with anyone with bad feed back!!!!!!!!

But that's just me
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
member or former member of
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
k8vf

What makes me shy away?

Post by k8vf »

#3) Lack of an asking price. They are usually fishing...what will you give me??? Get real.

#4) Lack of clear statement of condition. ESPECIALLY AFTER I ASKED YOU SPECIFICALLY!

#2) No callsign given for the ad. Unless they give one which matches mailing address, forget it.

#1) User has negative feed back on the Feedback Forum. ALWAYS kills the deal for me.

#5) Poor Spelling and/or Grammar. If an immigrant, no big deal. Hey my Spanish is terrible, how about yours?
I worked out a deal with a fellow in Argentina after a couple weeks and all went well....Mostly done in Spanish...tough, but we got it done!

NEW ONE! How about guys who have an ad and then have a SPam Service filtering the responses.....WAKE UP!!!!!!! We are responding to you, dont make it hard.
K5WW

Post by K5WW »

This is an old message/poll; but after spending lots of time in the "amps for sale" section over the past two months I feel there's something I can add.

This is what absolutely kills a (possible) deal for me: some descriptions are a little vague, so I email for questions. I've done my research on amps, but lots of older ones have aftermarket mods or specifications that just can't be found anymore. Others don't have images, but read "please email for pictures".

I must have sent around 50 emails over the past two months, asking for more info and/or pictures. Not once have those sellers provided me with all info I wanted.

And I don't think I ask unreasonable questions. Things like: how much drive power does it take, do you have a manual, do you know how to modify it for 10 meters, what does this or that added switch do. Answers to relatively simple questions that the current owner usually has, I think.

Best (or worst?) example, about three weeks ago: someone sells an amp that I was very interested in. "Please email for pictures". I did, and asked 7 or 8 other questions. I got the pictures, I got how much it would cost to ship, but no reply to the other questions. A follow-up email (from me to him) asking the remaining questions again was never replied to; and the listing was removed from the ads section. Too bad, because I was looking forward to buying it!

It wouldn't be so bad if this problem would be the exception to the rule. But after two months I am starting to think that it's no exception at all, but "standard practice"! (at least in the amps section, hi)

Is it really that hard to answer a couple of questions? You're trying to sell something, but that's too much to do? If that's the case I won't be buying. It may be in pristine, immaculate condition and even smell brand new; but without answers to my questions I'm not giving you my hard earned pennies, sorry.

Gert - K5WW

Still looking for a good amp from a buyer who knows how to communicate :wink: