tvi from g5rv close too satelite dish's

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
monney

tvi from g5rv close too satelite dish's

Post by monney »

I plan on putting up a full g5rv antenna. The antenna will be 204ft long and it will pass close to the satelite dish's. They are for the TV and the other is for our internet service. Will there be interference when I transmit? Just recently got into amature radio at 75yrs old, I am now 81yrs., and still learning. Hope to get some quick answeres before I become a silent key. I have all vintage gear and I do have a tunner.

73 KD8BLR
Martin Korea War Vet
k9yli

Re: tvi from g5rv close too satelite dish's

Post by k9yli »

This is a ""depends on..." answer.
If the wire runs directly accross the face area of the satellite it will overload the LNB amp.
if the wire is off to one side or behind the satellite, likely it will not be a problem.
Mine is parallel to the 'line of site of the satellite'' and about 25 feet away and maybe 10 or so feet above the physical dish. (wire runs orth and south).
Think of the satellite dish as a search light.. if the G5RV is not in the 'beam' or close , then its likely not aproblem.
But keep it behind or off to the side if you can..

Don
monney

Post by monney »

Mr. Donald Jaster:
Thank you for the valuable information and your prompt reply. My hope is to put a full size G5RV, 204ft. long. The problem that I must figure out is how to support the matching section. In order to get this antenna up I will have to go to the trees in the rear of my property to the chimney of the house. There, I will have to have a fiber glass pole to support the antenna wire and the matching section. From there the other half of the antenna will go to the trees in the front of the house. Max Gain sells fiber glass poles that can be purchased with type of glass inclosed screw for the clamps on the poles. You can check their web site Acording to MG this will make the pole non-conductive. I will have to contruct some type of stand-off to go over the metal rain gutters. From that point it is a short way to the shack.
Again would like any and all of you comments.
73 KD8BLR
Matin Korea War Vet
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

my center support is a 34 foot spaulding tower with a 8 foot steel pipe bent 90 degrees at the top with a pulley.
then clothsline rope to pull up and down..(ends the same) rope is plastic coated cotton rope. mine is 25 years old and still intact.

center insulator tied to about 8 inches of 1/4 inch automotive hose.,l use black zip ties and cover with black tape to reduce sun effect
on the plastic. then the other end of hose zip tied to two center webs of the twin lead.. this takes the strain off the wires at the insulator.'

coiled coax ten turns about 10 inches in diamater , at the twin lead for balun.
ltwlin lead is held above roof and away from trees with more rope..
then draped over bushes and coax is laying in trees/bushes and onthe ground..,
i did manage to get twin lead perpendicular to the man wire for about 3/4 of its length.
Mine is also a 160 meter full size G5RV.. mounted on two towers about 340 feet apart.
KB3LMV

Post by KB3LMV »

Hi mooney
The G5RV Max you are attempting to install needs to be up at least 75 ftabove ground level.I would attach it to a 3/16" DACRON support line at center & end insulators(zero strain on wire).Using choker mounted pulleys in trees,run support line thru pulleys to ground level & attach a 8 " concrete blocks to each end of line approx 4' off ground.This will keep antenna flat when trees sway in wind thus minumizing chances of breakage due to excessive strain on wire & end insulators.If antenna uses a PVC pipe tee for a center insulator line will pass thru it supporting drop line,then attach end insulators to line using short pieces of # 12 or 14 solid bare wire as zip ties breakdown in sunlight.
If any questions please respond via e mail listed on qrz.com. Good luck and Ham It up.
Paul Kb3lmv
Paul KB3LMV