Please post pictures!

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
KF0TW

Please post pictures!

Post by KF0TW »

The number of ads with no picture is becoming excessive. No picture means 'something to hide'. Yes, it takes a little more time to get the ad ready, but is good for both the buyer and seller.
kg8lb

Re: Please post pictures!

Post by kg8lb »

Not really fair to assert that " no pictures means something to hide . Not by a long shot . When I have something to sell , there are options . If I don't care to take time or when I have too little spare time , I often post the item here . I like posting here because it is quick and easy , not photo required , no long listing process . Type out an ad and sell the item . There have been times when a nervous , would be buyer has lost out because he asked for a photo and the item sold shortly afterwards . In this case the cynical would be buyer/tire kicker , time waster lost out .

I offer whatever it takes up to a full refund to satisfy the buyer and that works a lot better than photos .

If I have to take pics ...it is probably going to ebay and will sell for far more money in the long run .

In any event , I have nothing to hide .
OK, So where are the filters now ?
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

No picture means 'something to hide'.
I disagree. This conclusion assumes all users without a photo with their ad is a cheater and is naturally dishonest.

There are uncountable reasons one can't or won't post a picture--some good some bad. But to assume the worst in people is unwarranted, in my opinion. I hope your comment isn't a mirror of why YOU would not post a picture with your ads.

Cheers,

AL
K4ICL
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

I always post pictures with my ads. While I disagree that folks who don't post pictures are dishonest, I think all ads should have a picture and that picture should include something with the callsign of the seller on it (QSL Card, Hand written on paper, etc). 2 reasons why:

1. I want to see what I am buying before I buy it. I want to see the condition of the item and I want to ascertain as much info as I can from the 'other" things in the picture. Do I see nice neat surroundings or do I see a desk that looks like somebody emptied a garbage can on it? DO I see evidence that the seller might be a smoker? The last thing I want delivered to my house is a radio that houses 614 cockroaches.

2. A picture of an item with the sellers callsign assures the buyer that this sale is not just another scam.

There is still no guarantee that the item will be as described, and my money won't be stolen, but it eases a buyers mind and can only help a legitimate seller. Seller guarantees are only as good as the seller.
Steve - KA9MOT
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Still , the fact remains it is the seller's prerogative to post or choose not to post , as it is the buyer's to buy or not . I am always available by phone , have lived at one QTH for 40 years , accept Paypal to minimize any hint of fraud and always offer a money back policy . Add to that , most items I offer are pick up preferred or pick up only . At the point , the buyer gets to see and test the item . I alos offer on air auditions for transmitters and transccivers , conditions permitting .

I don't feel in the least obligated to post photos when I offer a very friendly price precisely because I want to simply dispose of a piece of gear as simply as possible . I can easily understand why other , honest people don't care to bother .This seller always follows through and has never had a complaint against him.

Promises to ship accessories , and to ship on time are no better than the seller making the promises . Excuses don't cut it , performance counts .
OK, So where are the filters now ?
wz3o

Post by wz3o »

Not sure what the results are for those of you who, IMHO, don't "respect" their fellow hams with a little effort, but My results are stellar. Always post a pic even with the smallest item item and include my cell and appreciate when a seller does also. Never had an item last more than a day or two before it sold. Never look at ads w/o pics . I often wonder what the deficiency is when I see no pic? Just Sayin'

That's my 2 cents, your mileage may vary vary :P