K3/P3 posted by Wd8MLV possible scam

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
W7YOZ

K3/P3 posted by Wd8MLV possible scam

Post by W7YOZ »

The K3/P3 posted today add #1057049 by WD8MLV is worded nearly identically to the posting #1055778 by Ki6MPJ on 4/27/03 which was noted herein as a scam by AE3RT. Both calls seem to be hijacked by this scammer who wants payment sent to another party. Please beware.

Merle W7YOZ
AE3RT

Re: K3/P3 posted by Wd8MLV possible scam

Post by AE3RT »

Thanks Merle,

Everything I have been interested in buying lately has been a scam:-)

I am getting tired of finding them and posting them!

Did you (or anyone on the forum, for that matter) have any communications with this individual?

I would be interested in seeing if a particular individual/address was involved again, or something similar.

The ad has already been pulled/deleted.

Thanks and 73,

Roger (AE3RT)
W7YOZ

Post by W7YOZ »

Roger, Thanks for the reply.

i did not bite on this ad but the similarity to the wording on the KI6 email was enough. Also with the fact WD8MLV did not have an email and only a very few visits on QRZ which was the same pattern with KI6MPJ that made it hard to track him. I also noted a scam alert on 3/30 I think for a listed FLEX 5000 that someone thought was the same person as listed the KI6MPJ ad. The person I was to send the money to instead of James KI6MPJ who "was on vacation" was Paciana Benitez Ashton at 931 Temple Drive, Apt 2 San Jose, CA.

I hope this helps,
Merle W7YOZ
AE3RT

Post by AE3RT »

On another ad for a FT-897D he posed as John, AD6KD.

He said the following in an e-mail to me:

"Okay Roger,

Yeah, it includes the YF-122C.

Kindly proceed with a PO money order to.

Name: Paciana Benitez Ashton
Address: 931 Temple dr., apt 2
San Jose, CA

Due to health issues...... cant really go far but I have a few hands to help.
Once MO delivers...... the rig will be shipped.

John."

As you can see, John was not on vacation, but not in good health as a variation of his excuse! The YF-122C was in the picture he stole from somewhere else and so he threw it into the mix. Most of the text was stolen verbatum from an ad that ran in 2006 on eham.net!

I believe he is scamming another radio right now, but he no longer answers my e-mail and so I cannot prove it... Unfortunately, there are lots of hams who sell on qth, eham, etc, that are bad at answering e-mails as well, but 4 e-mails and a bargain price and the ad is still listed after 4 days? I don't know what to do...

Have a great day and thanks for the additional info.

Thanks and 73,

Roger

Roger (AE3RT)
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Yet another great reason for buyers to ignore sellers demanding payment by check or money order only . Paypal is the scammer's worst enemy , money orders are their favorite tool .
OK, So where are the filters now ?